Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace shed roof?

Malak
Finding My Feet

How to replace shed roof?

1000013995.jpgHi

I have a broken shed roof and I wanted to know how I go about replacing the roof along with what tools I would need.

The damage was due to a tree leaning on the shed roof which has now been removed.

I did try looking on the Bunnings website for the materials (that I think I need) but could only find the sheets and the channel. I was unable to find a beam for the roof. My current shed is around 2x2.

Thank you!

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Replacing Shed Roof

Hi @Malak 

Is the shed securely mounted to concrete?

I was thinking of a piece of timber cut to fit the height including a jack.

And seeing if jacking slowly (that sounds bad) reverses the bow. If so, then we need to reinforce that beam. Hard to tell on my monitor - is that beam a light "C" section - seen in fencing?

Cheers.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Replacing Shed Roof

Hi @Malak,

I haven't heard of anyone replacing roof sheeting or components on a shed, as they are typically designed specifically by the manufacturer. If this was a recently purchased shed, then there is a possibility of obtaining replacement parts from the supplier. Using generic roof sheeting might work, but it's unlikely to suit the trim pieces for the shed or fit correctly.

I like @Noyade's thoughts, and if the roof sheets are in reasonable condition and can be returned to shape, then you'd only need to replace the roof beam. Perhaps it could be massaged back into shape, but that would be easiest if you removed it first.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Malak
Finding My Feet

Re: How to replace shed roof?

Thank you both for your assistance.

The shed is mounted on pavers.

From what I can see it looks like it is only the beam that is out of shape or at worst a tiny bit of the roof sheeting. The beam looks similar to the fence ones from what I can see.

Would it be possible to use a heat gun to get the beam back into place?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace shed roof?

Hello @Malak 

Since there is nothing leaning on the roof now, I propose disassembling your roof so that you can gain access to the steel support that is bent. Once you've removed it, you can hammer it back into shape and have it close to its original shape.

You can then re-assemble the support along with the shed roof. This would be the best way to get your shed roof back into shape. It will require a fair bit of effort on your part, but the rewards of the repair will be worth it as your shed will no longer look out of shape. I'm sorry but a heat gun will not work on the bent steal.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects