Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal air compressor?

MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

How to seal air compressor?

Hi Guys,

I haven't been on here in a while because I've been busy with lots of projects. However I recently purchased a second hand air compressor and went straight to Bunnings for some fittings. I have encountered that the hose and fittings leak without a thread sealant. I don't mind using sealant tape and such for the hose to compressor connection but I was wondering if anyone had ideas where I don't have to reapply every time I want to change between tools.

Thanks in Advance

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal air compressor

Hello @MonkeyLearn

Thank you for sharing that query about sealing your air compressor.

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of where exactly the leak is occurring? You're absolutely correct in that reapplying the sealant tape every time you use it is not effective. There are several sources where the leak could be occurring. The bearing couplers could be worn out, it could be as simple as a worn-out o ring, it could even be just lack of lubricating grease.

Here are some basic troubleshooting steps:

• Sometimes air hose fittings wear out and need to be replaced with a Jflex 3/8" Barbed Tail Air Hose Coupling. Please measure your hose coupling when buying a replacement set.
  • Check the air hose for cracks, cuts, and bulges from end to end, this is often an indicator of hose failure.
  • You can use the "soapy water" test to look for small leaks on the hose.
  • It could also be the coupling point on the compressor itself and may need replacement.

Other than those troubleshooting tips, we would need to see its current condition so we can give you a more comprehensive recommendation. 

We look forward to seeing the photos.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MonkeyLearn
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to seal air compressor

Thanks @EricL,

I'll see if I can get some pictures up soon. The hose is brand new, its just the Compressor that's second hand. I have checked and its definitely just coming the connecting points. Once hooked up between the compressor and say, an airgun it comes from both ends of the hose. When I hooked it up for the first time, there was some old thread tape still on the compressor and it didn't leak at that end, however once I removed the old thread tape it started leaking at that end as well. If you know of anything that only has to be replaced every now and then or an air hose that doesn't require sealing that would be brilliant.

MonkeyLearn

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects