Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal garage wall and floor before painting?

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

How to seal garage wall and floor before painting?

IMG_2578.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpeg

IMG_2575.jpeg

IMG_2576.jpeg

IMG_2586.jpeg

IMG_2566.jpeg

IMG_2569.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

 Good afternoon Workshop friends. We have cleared the shed. 

I want to paint the walls and epoxy the floor. 

What I need advice for first is - do we need to use a special waterproofing sealer on the bottom section of the wall because on the other side it’s raised up as garden ect. 
I have added photos to show the walls and also the surrounding areas as you can see how it is different levels if that makes sense ? Thank you in advance 😀

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to seal wall and floor before painting

Hi @mich1972 

Now that's what we're looking for! Fingers crossed that it is strong enough to repel the condensation when the heavy rains come next season. Nice work!

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@mich1972 

:surprised: Now that is impressive! I trully didnt think it would be that good lol I thought it would be low but nothing like that! Wow! :laugh:

Kinda wish I had done the same now :smile:

What is your next step?

Dave

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @EricL 😊 really happy with the result, it reminds of the Shower Plug I used to seal our tiles and grout in our showers. @MrSober  I spoke with hubby and we will look into treating the wall on the outside as advised 😊

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

IMG_2761.jpeg

Good morning @Dave-1 Thank you 😊 I purchased the undercoat ready to go. I was going to start painting at 4am this morning as I did with the Damp Stop yesterday morning BUT held back because Perth is forecasted with 40 degrees today and I was advised that it would be too hot to paint, so I don’t want to stuff it up. Just need to be patient and wait for the heatwave to pass. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @mich1972 

Yeah I know that type of recomendation lol (I had it for my concrete paint for my patio and even tho I started latter in the morning I was getting way to close to that 35degs that was recomended for the paint :surprised: ) I have seen the recomendations for years and had never paid any real notice until you spend the $$$ and then it becomes imporatnt :smile:

As you said, patience is the key.

Dave

mikepilling2
Growing in Experience

Re: How to seal garage wall and floor before painting?

Great thread to follow, good choice @mich1972 to avoid the high temp. I painted concrete while living in Broome, temp went up as the morning progressed, outcome was the paint flaked and I created myself a long and complicated reno job afterwards!! Lesson learnt to take note of the instructions on the tin and plan ahead 👍🏻

Re: How to seal garage wall and floor before painting?

@mikepilling2 Thank you 😊 it’s 10.30am and already 34 degrees so I’m glad I didn’t do it. I’m learning heaps from everyone in the Workshop, which gives me confidence to try and do it myself. I was going to epoxy the concrete slab but won’t now, so I’d like to paint it instead with a concrete paint. Just waiting for the heatwave to pass, hopefully start painting the walls soon !! 🙂

MrSober
Building a Reputation

Yeah it will be worth checking out when you get a chance, as dirt butted against brickwork just allows the moisture to soak into the brick from the ground. Never know it might have already been sealed on the outside as I would expect more water to come through when it rains.
Just curious on the outside of the garage is there weep holes visible above the dirt?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MrSober 

Let me tag @mich1972 to make them aware of your question. If the seal cures properly and is not exposed to heavy moisture within the next few days, it should be strong enough to withstand heavy condensation.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

I’m not sure @MrSober @as it’s all paved on the higher level on the outside. Paved right up to the wall. No reticulation hits the area, only rain. My hubby thinks that black water proofing paint has been applied but not 100% sure. It’s applied to another small garden bed that is part of the house and you can see it. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects