Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure a timber mailbox?

Monkey619
Just Starting Out

How to secure a timber mailbox?

We have purchased a house that wasn't very well taken care of.  I'm looking at a simple way to secure a wooden mailbox.  We are looking to replace the fence with a sliding gate in the next 6 months so I'm looking at a simple way to secure this, even if it doesn't match.  I'm thinking of getting a piece of wood and cutting it to the right side and attaching it with a hinge. I'm not sure which hinge to get or what would be the best way to lock it up.  What products would you suggest for this?

IMG-20221217-WA0009.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how to secure mailbox

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Monkey619. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about securing a mailbox.

If I understand correctly, you'd like to add a lockable door to the rear of your letterbox? If so, I'd suggest you grab a small panel of marine plywood, a couple of stainless steel hinges, a latch and a padlock. It would be best to coat the marine plywood with exterior-grade paint or varnish to help protect it from the elements.

A hasp and staple with a padlock will be the easiest way to secure the door. It's straightforward to install as it just screws to the door and side of the letterbox. Alternatively, you could install a drawer lock, which is more similar to what you'd find on a purchased letterbox and will give a neater finish.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects