Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to secure steel bracing on an existing shed roof made with steel U purlins and corregated sheets

ironbark
Building a Reputation

How to secure steel bracing on an existing shed roof made with steel U purlins and corregated sheets

I have a large steel framed shed (50' x 30'). I'm going to fit it out as a workshop and studio. Before I start work I want to reinforce the roof structure with cross structural steel bracing onto the underside of the steel purlins. I have already purchased the bracing (and tensioners) but am pondering on what would be the strongest way of securing this bracing to each steel purlin. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jan

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to secure steel bracing on an existing shed roof made with steel U purlins and corregated...

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ironbark. It's wonderful that you've joined us and many thanks for your question.

I would suggest that the best place to find installation instructions for your structural steel bracing would be with the manufacturer. If this were a product purchased through Bunnings, I would be more than happy to contact them to obtain this information. 

In some circumstances, the bracing is not attached to the purlins, as it is tensioning the overall roof structure. By fixing the bracing to the purlins before tensioning, you'd not only distort the purlins, but it would have an adverse effect on the tensioning of the overall structure. However, the manufacturer and installations guides dictate how their product should be installed to comply with codes, and I would recommend you follow them.

Please let me know if you need further information or have questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ironbark
Building a Reputation

Re: How to secure steel bracing on an existing shed roof made with steel U purlins and corregated...

Hi Mitchell,

This shed is a Stratco shed that was erected some 15 years ago by the previous owner. It is open sided, each side supported by 5 steel uprights. I purchased the structural steel bracing and tensioners from Bunnings; my intension was to divide the shed into two with the bracing and do two cross bracings - the 5 posts either side divide the shed into 4 bays, so effectively I'd be bracing two bays at a time. my intention was to secure either end of each brace, take up the slack if any with the tensioners and then secure the brace onto each purlin where it crosses it.

Some time ago I had a builder visit the site and was advised by him to do the bracing. My present thoughts were that since I am building a shed within this shed

(no part will be in contact the the outer shed), that this new structure will be blocking any wind that comes through and this upward pressure of wind may put extra stress on the larger shed, hence the thought of adding extra bracing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

many thanks Jan

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi Jan (@ironbark),

Could I please have some details of the structural steel bracing and tensioners that you have purchased? If you could provide a link to the product, that would be useful. I'll then be able to provide some installation instructions.

Mitchell

ironbark
Building a Reputation

Good morning Mitchell,

The items I purchased were the Abey 30mm x 1mm x 30m Galv. Punched Strapping &

Vuepro Hex Drive Anti-Slip strap bracing tensioners.

Regards Jan

https://www.bunnings.com.au/abey-30-x-1mm-x-30m-galvanised-punched-strapping_p1091981

https://www.bunnings.com.au/vuepro-hex-drive-anti-slip-strap-bracing-tensioner-6-pack_p1090926

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Many thanks for those additional details Jan (@ironbark).

The Abey 30 x 1mm x 30m Galvanised Punched Strapping is typically used on residential timber frame constructions for cross-bracing wall panels, roof trusses and flooring members. It's not compliant for use with metal structures, and because of this, the fixing method is with nails. You might like to consult a structural engineer to ensure a correct brace and fixing method is used for your application.

Our Absco sheds have a cyclone kit upgrade comprising additional purlins that get slid inside the existing ones for extra strength. The manufacturer of your shed should be able to advise whether a similar option is available to you.

Let me mention @TedBear to see if they have anything to add to the conversation.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

ironbark
Building a Reputation

Thanks Mitchell, I appreciate your input.

Regards Jan

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects