Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stick mirror on brick wall?

Thierry
Building a Reputation

How to stick mirror on brick wall?

Hi Team of expert

Can anyone please advise how to stick the mirror on the brick wall?

IMG20220313152257.jpg

IMG20220313152307.jpg

What do i need to buy?

Thanks

Thierry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stick mirror on brick wall?

Selleys 310g Liquid Nails Mirror Metal And Glass Adhesive is the best product to use @Thierry. I'd suggest placing a dollop on each location where that previous wall material has still adhered. They look like they're well bound to the mirror's back. I'd then do a few additional squiggles over the rear of the actual glass panel.

Make sure you prop up the mirror until the glue has dried.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Thierry
Building a Reputation

Re: how to stick mirror on brick wall

Do I need to remove the old glue?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can try @Thierry, but given that it's ripped the previous surface off, I'd suggest that the glue be very hard to remove. If it's tough to budge, I'd just leave it there as you'll risk pulling the silvering off the back of the mirror and destroying it.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

I just bought the "Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive".

I removed the old glue and will put the new glue to the same spot.

How long do i need to press mirror against the brick wall, for it to stick?

And do I need to tape the edge of the top and bottom? Will the mirror stick to the wall?

Thanks

Thierry

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'd suggest propping the mirror up from underneath to hold its weight whilst the glue adheres to the wall @Thierry. It would also be good to tape the mirror back to the wall or have something leaning against the mirror, so it doesn't fall forward during the glue curing process.

Ideally, I'd suggest leaving these supports in position for 24 hours.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell 

Can you advise on the propping up the mirror. Is that a temporary structure needed to be installed? You guys sell this? Thanks 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's just a temporary prop to hold the mirror's weight whilst the glue dries @Thierry. Otherwise, you'll need to stand there holding the mirror in place.

Mitchell

Thierry
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell

1. I used the suggested "Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive" on a wooden prop, which i dont mind to leave it there permanently - see photo.

Hope they are strong enough to hold the mirrors.

The 3 mirrors each weights 7kg.

2. As suggested is it  ok to use "Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive" to glue to mirror against the brick wall, although the instruction says not suitable for mirror?

3. I removed the previous glue on 1 mirror (time consuming), but for the 2 others, can i leave the previous glue and put glue on the same spot? (See photo of previous glue)

4. Should i consider other sort of double tape instead of glue (might be messy and more difficult to remove in future) given that 1 mirror weights 7kg

Thanks Thierry

IMG20220327113932.jpg

IMG20220327113938.jpg

IMG20220327114035.jpg

  

IMG20220327114627.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Great pickup there @Thierry! I sincerely apologise, do not use that adhesive. It might be fine, but don't risk it. The silver coating on the back of the mirror is susceptible to damage from adhesives, and the product I initially recommended could cause issues. You need to use Selleys 310g Liquid Nails Mirror Metal And Glass Adhesive, designed for mirrors. 

You can leave the existing glue and apply the new over it. I'd advise using additional glue lines over the back of the mirror itself, though.

The glue and props should be enough to hold your mirrors in place. Double-sided tape doesn't work well at all on brick surfaces. If you are worried about the glue alone holding, perhaps use some Everhang 11kg Mirror Mounting Corners as well.

So sorry for the inconvenience.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects