Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to utilise garage for storage and studio space?

Maps
Finding My Feet

How to utilise garage for storage and studio space?

Hi Everyone, My husband and I are moving into our first home, that is a two bedroom unit with a garage. We have some goods that we'd like to store, but mostly the space would be used as an artist's studio. I'd like to fit it out as best that I can to be of multi-use, so out of the gate, I would welcome any advise. The garage size is 2.6m wide x 5.5m length and I don't yet know of the ceiling height (we don't settle until 18 June).  It's a whole new world for us, so please chime in with anything that your world of knowledge and experience suggests as a good idea.

Many thanks, Maps

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garage for storage and studio space

Hi @Maps,

Firstly, welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community and congratulations on your first home purchase. I trust that a whole world of DIY and home improvement awaits.

It will be helpful for our members if you could advise some things that you want/need in the space so they can offer more project specific advice. 

Might I point you towards some helpful articles from the Bunnings Workshop that may provide some inspiration; Top 10 most popular storage projects, Top 10 most popular garage and shed projects, 10 different ways to use a garage.

Once you're moved in and settled, please reach out with any project ideas you might need any assistance with from our wonderful community members.

Jacob

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to utilise garage for storage and studio space?

A big welcome from me as well, @Maps

If you have images of the room from the listing, you might like to pop them up. Let me know if you need assistance posting pictures.

I'd recommend you check out the modular Pinnacle storage range, as it encompasses a heap of items such as workbenches, storage racks, hanging racks and more. I trust you'll find it an exceptional system that caters to your needs. Check out this wonder workspace transformation using their products: Garage storage makeover by @lcooksey88.

I'm not sure about you, but no workspace fit-out seems complete to me without a pegboard, and the Pinnacle version is not only robust but can be used with its well-designed hangers.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: How to utilise garage for storage and studio space?

Hi Mitchell,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  We purchased a 2 bedroom unit in our local suburb, Randwick, but due to the settlement date, are unable to physically move in until July.  The space measures as 2.5m W x 5.5m L x 2.5m H.  There is existing shelving on the three sides of the garage, consisting of two raised shelves, attached to the walls and surrounding three sides.  From memory, during the day, with the garage door open, there is a good spread of natural light and only one power point to which the automated garage door relies.

We intend to consult an electrician to install more power, with at least a double outlet for 240v access.  Whether or not we keep the existing shelving is up for questions of practicality and usefulness.

As the garage is raw brick, we intend to hire a spray gun from Bunnings to spray the walls and ceiling, white, and to address the floor, once pressure-sprayed (Karcher-ed), painted a light blue/grey with paving paint.

We are due for a pre-moving access site inspection before the keys are handed over, so hope that then we will have more clarity on planning and installing our storage and atelier needs.

Thank you so much for taking the time to suggest we look at Pinnacle storage solutions and closer to our move and following this inspection, I hope to be able to be more precise with my questions.

All the best Mitchell, kindly, Maps

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects