Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

I used my Ryobi lathe once then ...

alupton
Building a Reputation

I used my Ryobi lathe once then ...

I 'm new here and new to working with wood in my shed. I look forward to learning from others, getting some support and perhaps sharing some projects. My first project on my Ryobi 350W 970mm Wood Lathe was a simple three diameter spindle to be cut and made into three sizes of sanding spindles. Everything about the lathe was great (apart from having to manually change speeds) until the next day when I went to finish the piece and the lathe didn't work at all. I went through a checklist of the usual things (including power source) all to no avail. Any ideas out there? I've not investigated too much internally as it's still under warranty. There is a microswitch but I don't want to tamper with that. Cheers, Al

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: I used my Ryobi lathe once then ...

Welcome to the Workshop community @alupton. I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your lathe. 

The microswitch you have mentioned is a safety device to ensure the machine will not operate with the end door open. Please ensure the door is fully closed before attempting to operate the machine. If there is any debris stopping the door from closing remove that first.

Please let me know if that fixes the issue. The next course of action would be to bring the unit back into the store for a warranty replacement.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
alupton
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell and thanks for your reply.
I am so grateful. Your solution has led to the lathe working again!
I opened up the end door and everything was clean with no debris blocking the door. Then I screwed the bottom screw back in and noticed it went in completely and more snug than before. Previously I had to give the bottom of the door a small tap to make it flush. I then secured the top of the door. I had always half tightened the top first making the bottom slightly off. Now I know to get the bottom of the door right first.
Cheers, Al

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @alupton.

I'm excited it worked out for you! Now that you have the lathe working again be sure to post some of your creations as our members would love to see them. You've also now got me looking at that lathe to buy for myself.

Mitchell

Galoptic
Finding My Feet

If door to belt not closed correct it will not run check if door is closed tight 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Galoptic. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for contributing to the conversation.

You are correct in your advice that the door not being closed fully will stop the machine from running. @alupton got back to us above and confirmed that was indeed the reason for the machine not functioning,

We look forward to hearing about the projects you have around your own house and garden and we'd encourage you to let us know if you need any assistance or would like to share them with us. I trust you'll find loads of inspiration within the community as our amazing members are sharing their own projects here every day.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects