Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas wanted for outdoor wood storage

totocol
Building a Reputation

Ideas wanted for outdoor wood storage

I was hoping for some ideas to have a permanent outdoor space to store wood and keep it dry. I was thinking maybe using weatherboards to match the house material and reuse some of the leftover paint left from the builders. 

i was wondering if there is a guide you recommend for this. I’m needing about 2 cubic metres of storage. 

thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas for outdoor wood storage

Hi @totocol,

I can't recall any guides which would cover outdoor wood storage. However, we do have a step-by-step guide on How to make a D.I.Y. outdoor storage bench seat. You could use a couple of them to store your firewood in. I've also put together a simple skillion roof shelter rendering that you could use weatherboards for cladding. A sliding door on the front would also be a nice touch.

Let me know what you think, and I'd be happy to brainstorm some other ideas.

Mitchell

Woodframe1.pngWoodframe2.pngFin1.pngTrack1.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Ideas wanted for outdoor wood storage

Hi @totocol 

I know you wanted outdoor wood storage, but I was thinking of a mid-sized holder that you could put on your veranda or covered area where it would be easier to get to. Then in the late evening when you need a couple of pieces, you just need to step outside instead of walking all the way to your big pile. I did have an idea for a large storage area, but I wanted to show you this idea first. 

Eric

totocol firewood1.jpgtotocol firewood2.jpgtotocol firewood3.jpgtotocol firewood4.jpgtotocol firewood5.jpgtotocol firewood6.jpg

totocol
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

thanks for that. I really like the look of that one. It matches quite nicely our house look. 

what sort of weatherboards and wood for the foundations would I look for at my local Bunnings? 

thanks 

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL 

we do have a bit of storage inside under the chimney but it would be great to hear of any other ideas for outdoor to keep the wood protected from the rain. We just bought 2 cubic meters to get us trough winter but they’re now in the back of the garage so using space we were hoping to use for something else. 

thanks again 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @totocol 

On the condition that we are looking at 2 cubic meters of timber, you would need the equivalent space in actual storage. I've drawn up a firewood shed that will take 2 cubic meters of firewood. It's made out of H3 90 x 45 framing timber. You'll notice that I've left a lot of gaps for the wind to go through so it doesn't trap the moisture inside the shed. In the daytime, the galvanized roofing sheet will act as a heat radiator and dry off the wood. I've used a tarp cover at the front for easy access. It will be adequate enough to protect the timber from the rain. What's important is that when the sun is out you can roll the tarp up and let the timber get exposed to the sun.  

If you have other ideas, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to draw it up for you.

Eric

totocol firewood a.jpgtotocol firewood b.jpg

totocol
Building a Reputation

Hi @MitchellMc 

just wanted to check again what sort of boards would you get from Bunnings to build such a structure? 
thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

For the cladding, I'd recommend using James Hardie Axon panels @totocol. It will give you a similar look to the house, and being cement, it is resistant to moisture. You also won't have to deal with timber rot.

The rest of the structure can be built from 90 x 35mm H3 Pine and H4 posts.

Mitchell

Hi, I know this thread is a bit old, is it possible to provide dimensions for this?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rayando63. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about building an outdoor wood storage.

Were you referencing the rendering I created in my first response or the second larger storage space @EricL contributed? There weren't any dimensions; they were just basic concept ideas. If you have a set of dimensions (L x W x H) in mind that would fit your space, I can try to design something to suit your needs. It's best to start with the dimensions you need; otherwise, I could put the plan together and have it then not suit your space.

I'll also tag @totocol to see if they ever built any of these wood storage units.

I'm keen to assist further and hear which unit you're interested in.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects