Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

LED Garage lighting

racecars254
Just Starting Out

LED Garage lighting

Hey guys,

has anyone retro fit / outfit their garage with the LED baton style range of lights available? Looking to see if anyone has done anything using the lights they have at local bunnings. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: LED Garage lighting

Hi @racecars254,

Welcome to the community. We're really pleased to have you join us and look forward to reading about all of your projects and plans for around the house and garden.

Let me tag a few members who might like to share their thoughts and recommendations about upgrading the lighting in your garage: @Seaton@ProjectPete@redracer01@Brad@Conair400@TheSaltyreefer 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I've installed some with motion detection. I didn't get from Bunnings though as I found a better deal elsewhere online.

Planning to pop another 1 or 2 in there.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Notice Arlec have a smart version...

dmgdesign
Finding My Feet

I have used the Philips batten style LEDs In a few different areas. There is a 600mm or 1200mm version in cool or warm white. One 1200mm will be bright enough to light up a two car garage with 2400mm ceilings, if you're using it as a workspace often then I would put one at either end of the room so theres no dark side of whatever you're working on. I usually wouldn'T buy LED lights retail because ebay is usually way cheaper, but these Philips battens are unusually well priced. Philips make the best quality and usually the most efficient LED chips for home and auto products so they are usually too expensive to justify the price, but these battens are only a bit more expensive than cheap ebay ones, so defs worth it for the convenience of not waiting for postage.

The only time I have been dissatisfied with them was for my workbench lighting. The ceiling above it is 3.6m high and the bench is 1550mm x 2450mm. I have 2 x 1200mm battens which light up the whole room but I find they're not bright enough for detailed work. I think i would probably need at least another 2 of them for what I need, but for $120 there are more suitable options, like a hanging ufo style high bay LED.

TL;DR - Unless you have high ceilings and do detailed work, the Philips battens are a great value option for garage lighting.

Welcome to the Workshop community @dmgdesign.

Thanks for jumping straight in on the discussion with some great feedback. You'll find the community is full of very knowledgable members who contribute their projects and assistance here daily, so we're sure you'll fit right in. Please hit the "Start a discussion" button anytime you need assistance or have a project to share around your home or garden.

If you need any help getting the most out of the site or had questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

PeterOZ
Getting Established

any part numbers or links to those?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @PeterOZ,

Let me mention @dmgdesign so they are alerted to your question and hopefully can answer it for you.

Mitchell

Walzz
Building a Reputation

@PeterOZ @racecars254 
The Philips 20w LED Battens are great value in my opinion at $27.50
Philips 20W 4ft Diffused IP20 SmartBright Cool Daylight LED Batten 

The light output is roughly comparable to a 36w Flourescent batten, or an old 100w incandescent bulb. NB: The battens are hard wired to the lighting circuit (ie:no cord) and require a licenced electrician to install them. 
Depending on the amount of light and coverage required you may need a few to get decent lighting levels. If it's just general lighting so you can walk around without tripping over things, one might be *just* adequate. If you plan on lighting a workbench, a couple of battens suspended above the bench might be the best solution.

PeterOZ
Getting Established

I'm looking for better lighting than those.

Latest research leads me to something like these.  Twin 36W LEDS diffused.

https://www.rexel.com.au/are/category/Light-Fittings/Batten/Batten-luminaire/BATTEN-DIFFUSED-EL-2X36...

or . . . 

https://haymans.mmem.com.au/sals9733l-2f-215tc

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects