Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Large shed lighting

PeterOZ
Getting Established

Large shed lighting

Morning all,

I'm in the process of having a large shed constructed with completion by Christmas.  12x7x3m with a 3x7m skillion on the left hand end.

Internally there will be 3 portal frames to have lights on.  I was considering twin 40w fluro battens but thinking of some sort of LED batten would be a better option to remove flicker and offer much better lighting.

Shed will be used as a workshop with numerous benches and I need good lighting to see what I am doing.

I did see the post about the UFO LED lights but not overly fussed on those at present.

Look forward to some sound and informed responses.

cheers

Peter

unsoundguy
Growing in Experience

Re: Large shed lighting

There are flouro type lights that are an LED tube, we had them fitted in the warehouse I used to work in, the actual light output was great, and obviously very inexpensive to run. Bunnings stock them, I just checked, and from what I read you can fit the LED tubes to existing flouro battens.

I think I'll be updating my workshop lighting too . . . .

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Hi @PeterOZ 

I'm an electrician by trade and specifically an industrial electrician so I work in large factories every day. 

In regards to your shed lighting my suggestion would be to install a few of the hanging high bay type of lights. These will provide a very good amount of light throughout the shed and then in regards to needing good lighting over your work benches I would install a 4ft or 2ft LED batten over the work bench if you can make a frame up for it.

I'll attach some links to some products that I use and trust.

https://www.sal.net.au/products/interior-led-lighting/led-highbays/ufo-ii--shb25-hep

https://www.sal.net.au/products/interior-led-lighting/led-linear-battens-and-profiles/ecoline_MKii-s...

The only other option you could consider for lighting your work benches are LED strips if you have cabinetry above it.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Thanks,
Bruce

PeterOZ
Getting Established

thanks Bruce, I have been looking at similar LED battens on the Haymans website and can get trade on those.

I have about 8 x 4ft troffer fluro battens for over benches but will consider converting those to LED tubes at some points.  I've been carting thse battens about for several years during my numerous moves!

cheers

Peter

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @PeterOZ. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your questions.

It's fantastic to see you've already received helpful replies from @unsoundguy and our resident electrical expert @bruce93

I thought I would investigate using LED tube lights in fluorescent fixtures. According to one of our helpful team members in-store they are indeed compatible. The LED globe is supplied with a specific starter to replace the standard fluorescent starter. 

I note you had already seen the discussion on the UFO LED lights but you might also be interested in reading through LED Garage lighting by @racecars254

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell,

I have converted one of my bench twin battens to these using the Osram LED tube however was disappointed at the light output.  It was certainly white but was lacking, shall we say "oomph".

At this stage it is complete battens I am researching, preferably in LED technology.

cheers

Peter

bruce93
Building a Reputation

Hi Peter. 

Haymans will be able to get them in but either way a 4ft batten dedicated LED will be much brighter than the 4ft tube conversion kits in my opinion. 

Where are you located?

PeterOZ
Getting Established

that is my conclusion as well.  I'm in Hervey Bay, QLD

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi PeterOZ,

Personally as an Electrician, I wouldn't bother using Fluorescent fittings anymore.

The parts are harder to get, we just throw a new LED batten pack up to replace them and you don't have the issues with disposing of a million glass tubes.

LED fittings don't have the flicker problems that fluorescent fittings had, because they have a high-frequency (20kHz) driver pack in them, whereas the old fluoro's were mains frequency (50Hz), in workshops with lathes and other rotating gear, you had to feed them over 2 phases, so that stuff that was spinning didn't look like it was stationary.

With respect to brands, don't buy cheap lights, I use Thorn, Philips, even some Superlux ones, at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

Go to an Electrical Wholesaler, they will sort you out and you should by rights get a bit of discount as well.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects