Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Life changes

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Life changes

When life throws one a number of curve balls that prevent us from under taking the things we like to do, getting out into workshop, gardening, ect we begin to wonder what is left to do. Due to the changes I have to make that prevent me from doing what I like, I took a new direction in my life.

I decided to attack what frightened me the most, that was wood turning. Put me on a centre lathe, a milling machine or any of that good stuff I am at home. But no not wood turning as I have seen what has happened to other for what ever the reason. So the challenge was on.

the last 5 months has seen me learn new and challenging thing. The use of different hand tools, different gluing methods, the use of acrylics, working with different types of wood, threading wood and acrylics and I am just touching the surface.  So if you feel the coronavirus is causing you a problem. take a different direction learn something new. At 70 I think I am doing well.

Here are a few of the thing I have turned up and in some cases made some money to buy the tools I need to do the wood turning with.

Current job I am working on & waiting for more cracks to formCurrent job I am working on & waiting for more cracks to formJust some of the work turnedJust some of the work turned

Well its back to the drawing board the vase shattered while turning!!

Just a little set back with the vase moved on to something different with this shaving kit. My focus was on the style from the past with the barrel of the stand and the handle of the razor.

shaving.jpg

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

Re: Life changes

some absolute crackers in there, great work, I have a lathe i might just have to dust it off and have a go :smile: 

very inspiring

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

No attachment support currently on Private Messages either sorry @r23on. Again, we haven't enabled it because it does represent a higher security risk to users, particularly from viruses.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jump in and join the discussion it would be great to shear what you have done I might be able to get some new idea

Regards

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Not A problem I have solved how I will do it. 

regards

Poppop
Making a Splash

Some great looking items there. That vase will be a ripper when it's finished. Ive recently had some changes in direction with my woodworking. So i can appreciate the need to embrace change and never stop learning. When time and finances allow, wood turning is definitely on my to do list.

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Thanks for the vote of confidence, unfortunately the vase decided to implode plus the lack of skill on my behalf.  

If you take up wood turning go to a group first that run classes it is there where you find out if it for you. Youtube has some great stuff but it never tell you of the pitfalls or the issues of the timbers at the same time. I hope to see some of your work when you start

Regards

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Wow they look amazing @r23on keep up the great work.  :smile:

theskywaspink
Growing in Experience

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but by that stage I would have looked at doing one of those expoxy resin fills with some blue or green. Then continued turning. It may have shattered, but imagine the end result with the colours in that if it worked? Or better yet, toss in some of the glow in the dark dust :wink:

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hindsight is a great thing. My thoughts were to do the epoxy resin and the colours would have been effective, but I did not have the epoxy to and the amount of holes didn't show up until I started turning. The other issue, due the amount of resin need I would have need a pressure pot to prevent hole in the resin. I liked the idea of mixing the dust and will have a go at that. It was a great learning exercise. 

Thanks for your thoughts.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects