Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lining an existing wall on my garage

kevinnp
Finding My Feet

Lining an existing wall on my garage

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a cost effective and DIY thing to line this existing wall on my garage. This wall is about 6mLx2.2mH. Other walls are brick walls which I am painting them now. I may need to add new batten system as the existing timber frame quite old and not straight. Thanks, KevinDSC_1826.JPG

damo_
Cultivating a Following

Re: Lining an existing wall on my garage

Hi Kevin - I just installed some peg board in my shed https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garage-and-Shed/Small-shed-makeover/td-p/50319

it could be a neat functional addition to your wall!

DamoPeg boardPeg board

Hi @damo_, that looks fantastic. I will definitely do something similar for my wall. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kevinnp. It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

It's fantastic to see you've already received a helpful reply from @damo_.

Provided those walls are relatively water-resistant the cheapest solution might be Plasterboard. Gyprock CSR 2400 x 1200 x 10mm 2.88sqm Plasterboard works out to be around five dollars per square meter and is significantly cheaper than plywood. Five sheets would be enough to cover that entire area with a cost of $70.70. You would also need to factor joint tape and joint compound into the costing.

You should find this step-by-step tutorial helpful: How to plasterboard a stud wall.

If there were some leaks and moisture involved with that wall you might like to switch to James Hardie HardieFlex 2400 x 1200 x 4.5mm Fibre Cement Cladding 2.88sqm.

Where there any other options for cladding the wall that you were thinking of?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for your recommendation @MitchellMc. Can I ask what nail did he used on this video? - How to plasterboard a stud wall

I was thinking to use this too James Hardie HardieFlex 2400 x 1200 x 4.5mm Fibre Cement Cladding 2.88sqm

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@kevinnp,

The nails used in the video were Paslode 40 x 2.5mm 500g Gold Annular Plasterboard Nails - 215 Pack.

The HardieFlex board is certainly an option and would be more suitable in a damp environment than the plasterboard.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Razzer
Having an Impact

Gday @kevinnp 

Plasterboard is the cheapest option, but I went a different way on lining my garage, as I want to put screws where ever I want. I went with yellow tongue flooring, could of used just chipboard but I needed 2.9m sheets. It is more expensive but in the long run, it will be better for me. Plus I dont have to patch any holes when I knock them with tools etc. Just a thought for you. I even looked at 12mm and 9mm Non structural CD ply but went with yellow tongue cause of its thickness. To do your wall, you will need 6 sheets at $42ea = $252. Big price difference between plasterboard, but its up to you how you want to do it and how much you have to spend.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects