Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Lining cement sheeting with timber

Clarkos_Majoris
Finding My Feet

Lining cement sheeting with timber

My garage is lined with cement sheeting and then bagged, but a lot of the bagging is cracking up and breaking away, particularly around the joins and corners.   I'm not sure there is a solution to repair (as it will likely keep happening), but was thinking I could line it with merbau decking as we have a lot of merbau around the house and the front fence.   Does anyone know if this would work, by simply screwing the boards directly into the garage studs, or would you suggest building an additional frame to attach to the garage and screw the boards into that?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lining cement sheeting with timber

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Clarkos_Majoris. It's wonderful to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

I don't think you need to create a complete frame but you might like to run a few lengths of Merbau in the opposite direction to which you intend to lay the decking. Screws these lengths into your studs and then attach the decking to them. This will give you more fixing points.

You might like to try using Davco PM Render 20kg to repair the area as it will provide a strong yet flexible coating which resists cracking. 

Whether you render or fix decking over the surface you could use Bondcrete to assist in binding and sealing the old bagged cement.

There are a couple of discussions on render which you might like to read through-

If you'd like to provide some images of the area and damage it would be helpful in our members giving some great advice.

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Lining cement sheeting with timber

36FCB4B8-8AC0-41D5-8A8F-CBB2C5FCD553.jpeg

great thanks. I’ve attached a photo as an example of the issue.  

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects