Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mobile workshop on a car trailer

JudithW
Growing in Experience

Mobile workshop on a car trailer

7F531C60-2EF8-46E2-84CB-9739F09957E4.jpeg

One of the difficulties of renting, or even sharing a workshop with someone else, is where to set up for a major project - Especially during winter.

My solution was to build a workshop on a car trailer.

843E2545-D196-45C7-BCB2-0B9B456AC813.jpegI used mostly secondhand materials and constructed it in panels that would lay flat on the trailer if necessary. 

37E7B528-075E-4399-8859-DED95EDDF1F2.jpeg

Final cost was approximately $500 plus trailer. 

83C44C05-F196-4402-9C14-E9EACD171CB0.jpeg

My project? The (almost completed) micro caravan.

6F7B96F8-A8E6-4F81-8FA6-E49CDEA7C15D.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mobile Workshop

What fascinating projects @JudithW

I'm keen to hear more about the decision to build a mobile workshop. Was this purely because you rent and wanted to take it when you leave that property? I can't say I have ever really seen someone construct a mobile workshop before, and the possibilities appear endless. Although it was likely due to the restrictions of renting and being able to take it with you, I can't help but envisage you travelling around the country as a mobile D.I.Y. superhero stopping where you see fit and coming to the rescue of people stuck on a project.

Does the mobile workshop tie in with the micro caravan? Are you planning on becoming completely mobile so you can perhaps purchase land somewhere and move onto it? So many questions.

As someone that dreams of building a micro caravan, I love your work and ingenuity.

Many thanks for sharing.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JudithW
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell 

I purchased the trailer for a tiny house but thought it might be a big step so started on the caravan to build up my confidence.

I’m not renting but I share a tiny workshop with a very untidy husband so the pop up workshop was a bit of a retreat and a place that I didn’t have to tidy up before starting work.

There are a number of advantages for building a workshop on a trailer, especially if the walls can be taken down and flat packed for relocation. 
Also, trailers have a good solid flat base that can be made level.

But the best reason is that building regulations don’t apply to trailers.

Thanks for your interest 

Judith

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Sorry, I misinterpreted your renting comment @JudithW. So, will the workshop eventually be turned into a tiny home? 

I've been keenly looking out for a smallish box trailer that I can use the frame off to build a micro caravan. I've even considered a horse float. Oddly enough, I spoke with my mother about my idea to build the compact caravan, and she told me that my grandfather had done just that. 

Do you have any more photos of the caravan's interior that you could share? I'm always interested to see people's layouts in limited spaces.

Mitchell

JudithW
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell.
My caravan is 1.85x2.7m. It has a single bed/dinette. 
I up cycled old kitchen dressers for the interior cupboards and put in a good size sink and 85L fridge.

It has a 45Ah lithium battery with solar, DC and vehicle connections for charging.

I have a camp stove which I will use for cooking.

I’m hoping to have it registered in a couple of weeks.

Today I succeeded in installing a flat window into a curved wall :smile:

Here are interior photos…

Sketchup has been great for designing.

Judith

2EC82EC4-C5EB-4193-9958-7D85A6C2554F.jpeg383D8C84-BAE6-4A1C-8C28-4036B8400E3E.jpegB25D7CE9-1423-4603-BEF1-AB8F5D49D468.jpegE3BCCCAB-D50F-402D-8831-F55724E9389E.jpeg

JudithW
Growing in Experience

PS Yes I intend to turn the workshop into a tiny house. It will be easier than the caravan, partly because it will be built from outside in, not inside out like the caravan was.

I already have a collection of cedar doors and windows, and the basic shell is drawn on sketchup. 
I like the creative process. :smile:

Judith

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Love it @JudithW

What sort of registration process will you need to go through? Will it be registered as a caravan or perhaps a modified trailer?

Mitchell

JudithW
Growing in Experience

Thanks

Registration as a TA (very light - < 750kg) or TB (light 750 - 3500 I think) trailer.

Hoping for TA for no particular reason but I’m thinking it will probably weigh in around 800k with rear bumper and spare tyre.

It has electric brakes so weight isn’t too much of a critical factor.

It has a VIN

We call it The Luna. Also called The Escape Pod.

Judith

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects