Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Old rusty screw removal

Focusmarine
Finding My Feet

Old rusty screw removal

Hey everyone. The original screws in the bottom of my boat are rusty and the heads keep snapping off when we try to remove them. Does anyone have any handy hints to get them out or will I just have to keep trying and then turn the stumps after the old ply is removed?

Rusty.jpg

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Old rusty screw removal

I think the good old Penetrene may help.
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

In addition to @Brad's Penetrene tip, try using a rubber band for grip. 

rubberband.png

I shared the same tip on this discussion - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Interiors/What-s-the-best-D-I-Y-advice-you-ve-ever-received/td-p/222 - which has lots of good advice. 

Good luck with the project. 

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Focusmarine I'm taking a different interpretation of your problem than the other Workshoppers, so feel free to ignore it if I'm off target. :wink:

I originally thought of drilling many small holes, as close as possible around the broken shaft, but then later lucked upon this YouTube vid:

@Andy_Mann

Great vid, thanks for sharing. Just to let you know I've edited your post so the video is embedded rather than just a link. When you have a YouTube video you'd like to embed in a post, you just need to click on the "Insert a video" button above the text editor. It's the icon that looks like a film strip.

Thanks,

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

That video was a great idea @Andy_Mann should work perfectly! Thanks man.

Fantastic. Please let us know how you go with it @Focusmarine.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Jason thanks mate for the tip on imbedding clips,you're a true champion.

I think I'll create a document file on my 'puter, so that I can save all of your helpful tips, that aren't listed on the site help page. * inserts light bulb emoticon

@Focusmarine I'm delighted that the vid could be helpful, you've made me very happy.

Altho it's an old posting, good tips don't age! I have a set of Easy Outs, which require drilling a hole into the centre of the broken screw or bolt... not always easy to do. This method takes the opposite approach and removes the screw with the timber it's held in. I guess the idea is to make your hollow drill bit the same diameter as a standard dowel to make the repair easy. Great idea, that I thought was worth reawakening.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects