Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ozito cordless battery compatibility

Ricochet
Getting Established

Ozito cordless battery compatibility

Hi.   I have just bought an Ozito 12v cordless drill.  Could I use the battery from that in an Ozito 18v Circular saw or other Ozito power tool.

janette1
Just Starting Out

Hi just wandering if ozito batteries will still be available to buy from bunnings?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hi just wandering if ozito batteries will still be available to buy from bunnings?

Hello @janette1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about Ozito batteries.

The quick answer is yes, you can still purchase Ozito batteries from Bunnings. However, it all depends on which battery you are referring to. Naturally, not all Ozito batteries are available as some of the very old models sometimes get phased out or come to the end of production. Did you have a specific model in mind? If you do, I'm more than happy to inquire for you to see if it is still available.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
fireymark
Finding My Feet

ozito 18v 3.0

Hi

ive an older Ozito 18v lawn mower with 2 18v 3.0 batteries. One battery has died. Can I mix n match. Use a 18v 2.0 or 4.0 battery. 
will it work if it’s one of the batteries with an X on it when mine don’t?

thanknyou. 

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: ozito 18v 3.0

Hi @fireymark,

First, let me welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community! It is awesome you have decided to join us and ask about your battery swap. From what I have read, the PXC series batteries are only compatible with the PXC range. Do you know which range your lawn mower is from? Our resident DIY expert @MitchellMc will be back online tomorrow to help assist further. 

Katie

03569662-D622-4246-8EBA-FDE15696BF16.jpeg

This is my lawn mower. Any advice on batteries would be great if I can use a 18v 3.0 with a 2.0?

Hi @fireymark 

To answer your question  yes you definatly can use 18V 3.0 +2.0   or 18v 3.0  + 4.0   As long as the batteries physically fit  the mowers connectors  and physical  slot area. How ever one battery will be working harder  than the other  in 3.0 and 2.0  situation and may cause it to fail more prematurely so is not an ideal situation.

How ever I would be seeking a new battery pair for your mower  18V 3.0+3.0   or 18V 4.0+ 4.0 as the best longer life option.

Well there is an indication  that the older ozito batteries are not compatible with the newer PXC  X batteries. But I cannot confirm or dismiss this to be a fact

@fireymark  you  said you have a battery with an  Xmarked on it will it physically plug into your mower? Are the new PXC 18V batteries physically compatably  at the connectors?  The voltages on the batteries are the same so they will be totally suitable unless they have some sort of extra chips,

Hi @fireymark,

You have a PXC mower there, so any PXC batteries will work in it. As @Jewelleryrescue has mentioned, it's not a great idea to miss match amperage on the dual batteries as the mower will only run for as long as there is power in the lower amperage battery. Best to stick with the same amps. 

Mitchell

Thanks @MitchellMc 

For finding that mower is PXC now @fireymark  can buy replacements and  keep his mower operational was my main concern it would be bad to have ozito mowers not backwardly compatable with their own batteries. 

I think everyone knows the bigger the battery capacity the more energy dense the battery and typically larger the size which also may not fit Try getting a C cell battery into a AA  spot. I wasnt sure about Ozito mowers larger capacity batteries fitting in smaller capacities  contact spots. lol next trip to Bunnings I will have to educate myself more on  mowers.

Electricity  power and Electronics is one area unless  you have studied  in that field that is  not easy to pick up and digest. 

So It is I think slightly important to lean to one side and steer the boat back on coarse.  

Yes, you certainly can mix 4 Ah with 2Ah  this will make a 6Ah battery with  no problem assuming you are talking about 2 batteries of the same type at the same charge level(you should charge parallel batteries together so there is no  voltage difference as  voltage imbalance a spark will occur like jumper cables to a flat car battery. ), As a percentage of their capacities, they will both charge and discharge at the same rate, though the current into and out of the 4Ah battery will always be about double that of the other. You cannot connect them in series at all, but you certainly can parallel them. You can  bet your life on. End result is a 6Ah battery.  Power discharge wont stop at 2Ah.  or 4Ah The only consideration is the internal resistance and chemical composition changing  with age.  The larger battery should have lower internal resistance. So each battery will perform slightly different where as the same or very close specifications is best. Ie same capacity battery 4Ah  + 4Ah.  This also applies to old and new batteries as over time the specifications will change creating in balances between cells.

So The ideal is two new batteries of the same size and age. Or two old batteries still working.

For those who disagree with my answer, let me draw a parallel that is a near-perfect model. You have 2 large elevated rectangular water tanks which are at the same height and have equal height, but one’s cross-section is 1m x 1m while the other is 1m x 2m. Both are open at the top to the atmosphere. Directly under their bottoms is a pipe T-fitting connection connecting them, then a single pipe down to a valve and a load, let’s say a water turbine. The water pressure at the turbine is equivalent to the voltage of two subject batteries, the water in them is equivalent to the amp-hour capacity of each, and any flow of water out the bottom is equivalent to current going to a load. Now open the valve and let the turbine run. If you know anything at all about the physics of this, you already know that the water level in both tanks will be equal to each other by virtue of the T-fitting, and that as water drains from the two tanks, will remain level, even as the levels drop. There will never be a case where water drains from one tank into the other, and there will never be a case where the larger tank is not draining water at exactly double the rate of the smaller.

Great analogy @Jewelleryrescue. I just wanted to point out that Ozito recommends always using two batteries of the same capacity and same charge state with the mower. So, even though, in theory, the batteries will drain at the same rate, I like to stick on the side of caution and recommend the same amperage. 

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects