Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Paint gun and spray painting - recommendations/suggestions please

Monument
Building a Reputation

Paint gun and spray painting - recommendations/suggestions please

I have a set of race fairings coming for my motorbike and I intend to do the paint myself. It will be the first time I've done this sort of work - have previously rattle canned stuff.

I have a compressor with a 40L tank/180L per min so think that should be ok. Looking around it seems there are paint guns that only seem OK for a touch up job that cost $50 and then the price jumps to $200+ for pro units. Would appreciate a recommendation for something in between - I'm not going to be spray painting addicted after this, it is a one off job so don't want to fork out a fortune.

I've also been watching how to vids on the process and am across the basic process and the clean clean clean message at multiple stages. However, if someone has some "must-do" advice or a strong opinion on on whether to use 1pk or 2pk or whatever please let me know. Am keen to try and avoid muck-ups. Obviously I'm not expecting a pro finish and don't need one for this purpose, but I don't want them to look rubbish OTOH.

Cheers.

Avia Fibre Race Fairings Gel CoatAvia Fibre Race Fairings Gel Coat

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint gun and spray painting - recommendations/suggestions please

Hi @Monument,

A kit like the Ozito 3 Piece Gravity Feed Air Spray Gun Kit would be perfect for your project. It includes a 1.4mm gravity feed spray gun for painting the panels and a smaller 0.8mm touch-up gun for fixing any inconsistencies. You might like to use the touch-up gun to apply your clear coat as well. You also get an air regulator to ensure consistent pressure to the gun. 

Let me mention @JDE, @Kermit and @TedBear to see if they have any advice.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects