Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Protect plasterboard wall for exercises (wall walks, handstand pushups) or strong tape material

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Protect plasterboard wall for exercises (wall walks, handstand pushups) or strong tape material

Hi Bunnings community, I need some suggestions on some material I can use to protect my garage wall (it's the standard plasterboard painted in white type of wall as the attached photo) for exercises that I am doing, particularly wall walks - https://youtu.be/p9Dij31d4s0?t=31.

The constraint is that I cannot drill into the walls, so I am looking for a solution that is portable/ detachable.

I did wall walks once and it left a lot of dirt on the wall and was difficult to clean, hence, I am thinking of putting some layer that I can just remove/ replace without damaging the wall itself. I might've damaged the pain when I did those wall walks last time too due to the friction with the shoes.

Could you please help? Thanks a lot!

EDIT.

I have this clear sheet weighing about 4.2kg with dimensions 1200mm x 90mm x 3mm. Any idea on what sort of removable, non-wall-damaging tape that I can use? 

IMG_7060.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Protect plasterboard wall for exercises (wall walks, handstand pushups) or strong tape material

Is this a rental and the reason why you can't drill into the walls @bilcruise?

What about a Suntuf 900 x 600 3mm Flat White Acrylic Sheet attached to the wall with Command™ Large White Adhesive Refill Strips? After watching the video, I suspect you might need two sheets of that size. You'll need to use several Command strips per sheet to hold them securely in place.

I've just seen your edit. You know what they say about great minds. Command strips and plenty of them. I'd use at least four on each side. Just make sure you leave the semi-circular pull tab exposed so you can remove them when necessary. Unfortunately, you won't be able to place any in the central area as you can't access the pull tab which releases them. 

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Re: Protect plasterboard wall for exercises (wall walks, handstand pushups) or strong tape material

Thanks for the recommendation @MitchellMc ! That sounds like what I need.

Is there an alternative where it's a velcro kind of thing so it can be easily detached when needed? Or even so that the command strips can be left on the wall and not removed each time?

These Command™ Large Black Adhesive Picture Hanging Strips look like they could be the ticket. You stick one side on the wall and the other on the perspex; the two sides then lock together. They also have the same pull tabs to release from the wall when needed. I haven't used these myself, but it appears that if you were to pull the perspex, it will unlock the two sections. I suspect they've bought them out as otherwise, you'd need to have the pull tab exposed, or you can't get your painting off the wall.

Mitchell

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hey @MitchellMc , i just bought the Command strips you recommended and stick a few on to the perspex, however, they don’t seem to stick very well.

image.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bilcruise

Did you use Diggers Methylated Spirits - 1L or Permastik 30ml Isopropyl Surface Cleaner to clean the wall? Unfortunately, Methylated spirits leaves a film residue on any surface that it cleans. I often suggest using Isopropyl as it cleans very well and leaves a very dry surface with no residue.

Unfortunately, sometimes some surfaces are just difficult to adhere to. I recommend cleaning it again with Isopropyl and seeing if it works. If you still have issues with adhesion, I suggest using Command™ Large White Adhesive Picture Hanging Strips Value Pack - 12 Pack. This has a larger sticking surface and is rated at 7.2kg.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL , thanks for the suggestion. I actually used one of those alcohol wipes, which is 70% isopropyl alcohol. That shouldve been ok right? 

so, i should take off the 3Ms and try again?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bilcruise

Yes, those wipes should have worked. I'm curious as to why the 3M did not adhere to your walls. I suggest giving it another try. Please make sure to get the Command™ Large White Adhesive Picture Hanging Strips Value Pack - 12 Pack instead of the small strips.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the perspex mounted. 

Eric

bilcruise
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL cool. I’ll give it another try tomorrow. And yes, I actually bought the large ones instead of the small ones. :smile:

so, if it adheres perfectly, I shouldn’t see those air bubbles right?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @bilcruise

Yes, it's perfectly fine to see air bubbles, however, try to apply the strip from top to bottom instead of laying it uniformly flat. This will minimize the bubbles and give you a better grip.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects