Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Recommend a compressor for air brush

SMS
Just Starting Out

Recommend a compressor for air brush

Hello!

I was just wondering if this compressor would be a good idea and work with an air brush. This is the first time I'm going to give it a go, so not sure if this is a good one that would get me started. I would like to start with something really cheap just in case it is not my thing. Thank you for your answers!

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-12v-150psi-air-compressor_p6290464

Rosiej
Finding My Feet

Re: Recommend a compressor for air brush

There are a lot of options for spray painting these days (I'm assuming that is what you are going to do) that don't need a compressor.  Have you looked at the Wagner range of products?  The W 950 Flexio Universal Sprayer gives you two in one and you can use it for all sorts of surfaces and is suitable for water and solvent based paints.  For medium to large projects.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @SMS

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about compressors.

It's great that you've received an excellent recommendation from @Rosiej. It all comes down to what your needs are. Is it for spraying cabinet doors and appliances? Or are you spraying small items, models and figurines? For the large mid-sized items the Wagner W100 is a good first spray gun and does not need a separate compressor. It's an economical spray and is very versatile able to use different types of paints. 

If you're after the compressor itself, I suggest the Ozito 21L 1.5HP Oil-Free Air Compressor Kit. Suitable for spray painting tools and garage air tools. Due to its air tank, it is able to provide continuous air pressure to whatever air tool you're using.

However, if you're spraying for detail and small items, I suggest using Ozito 3L 105W Airbrush and Mini Compressor Kit. This Mini Air Compressor with Airbrush Kit is perfect for intricate or detailed spray painting applications such as painting figurines, custom airbrush artwork, craft projects and more. The airbrush system is suitable for use with watercolours or acrylic paints, lacquers, enamels, inks and dyes.

If you can tell us what kind of projects you're planning on painting our members will be able to recommend which compressor is ideal for your project.

Let me tag our experienced members @Prawns and @fhk56 for their recommendations.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your spray painted projects.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
SMS
Just Starting Out

Thank you so much for both answers. @EricL @Rosiej I'm looking for a compressor to paint small detail, specially miniatures. The kit sounds great, but I'm up to a gravity fed airbrush double action. Do you guys sell just the compressor? Because the 3L one sounds pretty good. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SMS 

The Ozito 3L 105W Airbrush and Mini Compressor Kit is only available as a kit. It's a good compressor and has the same features as the upmarket models. It has a built-in adjustable pressure regulator, moisture trap, and a manual tank release. It has a bottom drain valve at the bottom of the tank and a top handle for easy transport.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have the now discontinued Stanley mini compressor and I have upgraded to a 50l for nailers and a pressure casting pot.

I failed at keeping an interest in airbrushing minitures.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Rosiej. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping straight into a discussion.

Airless sprayers are indeed a fantastic alternative to a setup with a compressor. I have the Dulux RapidFinish Paint Spray Gun and often use it when I have an intricate surface to paint or larger areas. So convenient to be able to fill them up, plug them in and away you go.

We're keen to hear all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Please don't hesitate to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects