Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Repairs to garage floor - How to fill the cracks?

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Repairs to garage floor - How to fill the cracks?

20211130_152156.jpg20211130_152235.jpg

Would anyone have any suggestion on how to repair this area between the garage cement floor and the driveway. We drive the car over the area everyday and I was hoping to somehow fill in the cracks. Thanks:-)

20211130_152137.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Repairs to garage floor

Hello @Nham

I recommend using Gripset Betta 500ml Concrete Crack Filler to fill in the gap. I suggest cleaning the gap using a Pressure washer to remove all the dirt and debris that has been trapped in the gap. Please note that the Concrete Crack Filler penetrates and settles to the deepest part of the crack so some settling may be evident when the product dries off. A second coat is recommended to give you a nice even finish. 

However, if you're after a cosmetic repair to make it look nice, Any repairs done to it will not last long due to the weight of your car passing over the repair.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your driveway fixed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nham
Becoming a Leader

Thanks @EricL 

Can I also get your advice on this repair. The recent rain we are getting created a hole in the concrete, please see pictures. There is now a cavity underneath the concrete surface. I was thinking about using concretemate, mix it to a liquid consistency and pour into the cavity. Thanks again

Nham 

20211211_095605.jpg20211211_114300.jpg20211211_114216.jpg

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

@Nham  

A couple of questions

Do you know where the water is coming from ?  Under the ground or is the water washing to that area *(possibly being lower ground)

Is that the base of your house the concrete is up against?  Maybe a shot from a distance will give us more information.  Before making the repairs, it would be best to sort out where the water is coming from that is causing this damage, more information to enable you to address the entire situation, not just a band aid.

Hope that makes more sense?   It would be horrible to go to all the work in making the repairs and then we get lots of rain like we've been having this year and the repairs you have made are damaged again.  There has to be a reason why this is happening.

All the best

This old gal 

Nham
Becoming a Leader

Hi @Old-gal24 

Thanks for the reply, The hole is right next to the gate post and the area is sloping gently towards the driveway drain. The expansion joint you see in the picture separates the driveway from a side pathway (not the main house). We recently install a new drain and driveway to prevent flooding as our house is below the street line and there is a descend into the property. 

We had consistent rain for several weeks and I get the feeling this weakened the area underneath. You can also see a crack in the side path leading away. Any advice would be great.

Cheers

Nham

20211213_074942.jpeg20211213_074803.jpeg20211213_074745.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nham

That is fantastic advice coming from @Old-gal24. I recommend tracking the source of the damage. If it was caused by water running over the post area then using cement to repair the damage would be fine. I suggest using Dingo 20kg Self-Levelling Cement. It can be mixed to a softer consistency and poured into the gap. However, if the source of the damage came from underground you'll have to track down the source of the water starting with your newly installed drain. You can test your drain by tipping a bucket of water into it and see if any water seeps towards your gate area.

Let me tag our experienced members @TedBear and @JoeAzza for their thoughts on the possible source of the damage.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your damaged flooring repaired.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Nham , just looking at all the photos, it appears that the brickwork with the hole in it by the gate post may have been made up of a broken brick (the hole looks too neat to me for an eroded hole) that has had cement poured over the top to make it level with the surrounding bricks.  That cement capping and whatever was in the hole seems to have eroded away, possibly weakened by movement on the pole when the gate latches to it.  Does it look that way to you?

If that is the case, you would be best to mix some small stones into the cement that you fill with, to give it some "body", some strength to resist movement and erosion in future. Then put a top layer back on as suggested by EricL.

I also suggest that you repair that crack in the mortar right next to the hole as well... the one in those edging bricks, at right angles to the join you are focussing on. That may be where water is seeping in and undermining what was in that hole before.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects