Workshop
Ask a question

How to build shed footings?

Peter_M
Just Starting Out

How to build shed footings?

Hi community. 

I am putting in a shed on sloped ground. I've opted for concrete pier footings. Shed is going to be 4500x3200 and weighs about 1500kg

I'm going with 10 piers. 30cm diameter x 800 deep. 

My questions are: 

What MPA concrete will I need for the piers and what is best practice for reinforcing the piers with rebar? Just single lengths?  Cages? Etc.

Any help would be awesome. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Shed footings

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Peter_M. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about constructing piers.

From what I can discern from the National Construction Codes (NCC), 25MPa concrete should be sufficient, though it doesn't appear to be particularly clear. However, it would be best to discuss structural elements and their requirements with an engineer or builder. We do have 50MPa concrete if it's called for.

For cylindrical piers, it would be best to use cylindrical reo cages constructed from Jack 600mm x 5m Reinforcing Mesh Roll. Sections can be cut off and the ends joined with tie wire

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects