Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Temperature-controlled wine cellar in shed

GWL
Cultivating a Following

Temperature-controlled wine cellar in shed

Cellar 5.jpg

Converted a vacant space in my metal shed into a temperature-controlled 1000 bottle wine cellar. 

Cellar 1.jpgCellar 2.jpgCellar 3.jpgCellar 4.jpgCellar 6.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Temperature-controlled wine cellar in shed

Hello @GWL

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your temperature-controlled wine cellar project.

What an impressive wine cellar, I'm really curious as to what kind of split aircon unit you installed inside the cold room. Did you build the room first or did you buy the aircon unit first? From a cooling point of view, I would have searched for the most efficient aircon unit I can get. It will then tell me the number of cubic meters it can cool off. 

I can understand the triple lock system, I wouldn't want any of these bottles taking a walk. Have you considered installing a Samsung Smart Keyless Digital Deadbolt Door Lock? Can you please tell us what kind of insulation method you applied to the wall? 

Any other information you can share about the wine cellar construction would be very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sharing such an amazing wine cellar.

Eric 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
GWL
Cultivating a Following

Re: Temperature-controlled wine cellar in shed

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the welcome; there are some fantastic projects on this site!

For the temperature control, I originally considered a proper cellar climate control system but it was just too expensive. Instead, I had installed a Mitsubishi Inverter 2.5kW split air conditioning system; does a great job. In summer, consistent temp is around 15 degrees, winter about 10 (I live in the Southern Highlands of NSW, so cool / cold climate); but dirunal temperature variation is only one or two degrees. I built the internal walls and had the air con installed before I painted and installed the racks.

The shed has a concrete floor upon which I built a 100mm plinth from pavers. over which I laid red tongue flooring; stud walls were dyna-bolted to the floor and anchored with brackets to the shed endwall columns, sidewall girts and roof purlins. Over the red tongue floor I laid rubber gym mats (in case I drop a bottle!). Walls are two layers of yellow tongue with a 70mm gap between. Two layers of insulation (each one being earth wool and silver sarking) - one layer between the metal shed wall and yellow tongue outer wall and another between the two layers of yellow tongue wall. I covered the external walls of the cellar with HardieFlex to give it a 'cement' feel; plus it also adds structural strength given the racks are secured to the walls inside. Ceiling is 25mm plywood, with about 300mm of earth wool between the top of the cellar ceiling and the metal roof of the shed. The ceiling steps up in line with the angle of the shed roof. I found the door at a second-hand building supplies place - it's a1930s era wooden door with metal wire within the glass. I didn't consider an electronic lock; just used some heavy duty drop bolts and padlocks. Whole thing painted black for effect with Arlec LED smart down lights (I have it set to a red 'submarine' theme). 

Cheers

Glenn

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects