Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for whitewash on ply walls in the She Shed?

LeighBuilds
Finding My Feet

Tips for whitewash on ply walls in the She Shed?

Hi all,

Just finished lining my SheShed with 7mm bracing ply (cheap&easy) but of course it does make me feel like I'm in a big packing crate 😬. Don't want to just paint it all in regular white paint, I was thinking to whitewash/limewash it to lighten up all the timber but still keep it a bit rustic. Has anyone whitewashed timber ply before? If so, any tips? Thanks in advance. Here's the ply going on...shed is 3.3 x1.8 x 2.3high, 4 windows so good light

20211021_142552.jpg

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: Tips for whitewash on ply walls in the She Shed?

We did it with watered down paint. One person rolled the paint on while the other wiped it off with a rag. We did a light coat first and ended up doing a second to darken the colour. We sealed it with a clear coat for protection not needed but as an art studio helps with cleaning. Do small sections at a time so it doesnt dry off. IMG_1915.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @LeighBuilds. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about whitewashing plywood.

If you follow the application directions whitewashing plywood with Feast Watson 1L Liming White would be the same as any other timber. On the Feast Watson product webpage, you'll find all the preparation and application instructions. Also, check out How to lime wash timber furniture by @prettyliving, as it will give you a good idea of the application technique.

You might like to consider the Feast Watson 4L Liming White Satin Timber Floor Stain And Varnish as it includes a clear satin polyurethane. There will be no need then to seal it separately.

As @JDE has mentioned, you can get a similar effect with standard white paint. 

This sounds like a fantastic project, and I can't wait to follow along.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

that great, many thanks JDE.  It looks so good. love your floor too.

thanks Mitchell, I'll check out those products.

I'll post some pics when it's all done :smile:

Looking forward to seeing the end results @LeighBuilds. Please let us know if you need any further assistance along the way.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects