Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tools - battery or corded?

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Tools - battery or corded?

Hi guys, I've got a decent range of tools including both battery and corded models. I'm just chasing people's feedback on which tools they have in which combos.

Do you find your battery powered ones don't last long enough or don't have enough power, etc?

Certainly like the convenience of the new(ish) '1 battery fits all systems' and when I buy new tools I've looked at both battery and corded options.

c4b04c8b-52ea-4223-a327-fd7f12a74d41.jpg 

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
John1
Having an Impact

Re: Tools - battery or corded?

I have had 2x 4ah Ryobi One batteries for about two years now and have 8 Ryobi cordless tools and they work one on charge while using the other I always have one fully charged and when I'm mowing with my Ryobi 18v Lawn Mower then use the Line trimmer and finally my Blower to clean up the long nature strip and around the house they both go on chargers [overnight] as I have two chargers charging at the same time  and switch off the chargers in the morning and back to the usual one battery always on charge and one in use.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel

It depends on the battery type that's supplied with your cordless tool. 

I have a Panasonic cordless drill/driver, which I bought nearly 20 years ago, &     back then NiMH batteries ruled. Their downfall was exactly what you describe, in that they slowly self discharge when stored, effectively leaving you with 1 charged battery, & a paperweight when you wanted to use the tool. It didn't bother me too much, because I usually expired before a fully charged NiMH battery did. ; )

My plan of action for the start of a day was to remove the (inevitably flat) battery that was in the tool, & fit the battery that'd been on charge. Then straight away bung the flat one into the charger, if I needed it after my afternoon "Nanna Nap".

It worked a treat, as I rarely work after my arvo nap. ; )

There's a good chance that you have more stamina than I do, so swap the batteries at the start in any case, then plan your work flow around the useful battery capacity/reserve, or make sure you've got some work/project continuity to carry on if the battery dies on you.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

GarryL
Getting Established

Both unfortunately is the answer, electric dill and battery drill are a must , after all you are running of batteries , but be selective , such as if you are a serious hobbyist you will know which ones you use the most and which ones you use little.

Leaded tools offer you the most power so if you have to cut alot of timber then only leaded saw is you most obvious choice , if you are a basic handyman then battery tools will do quite fine but can get expensive and you really should have large capacity batteries , and again the cost can be expensive.

I use the horses for courses , not much diling but a lot of screws then cheap electric drill and battery drill with large batteries, always remember if you have a large odd job such as sanding back decking then your cheapest option is to hire a floor sander, very fast and saves alot of time instead of usin your belt or flat sheet sander. And another rule is always ask several other peoples opinion then you will get the correct tool.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I agree with your advice about hiring a floor sander @GarryL. Made my project much easier on the weekend. 

In regards to the original topic, I purchased a corded orbital sander to complete the edges and didn't mind having to manage the extension cord during the job. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I agree. The only battery powered tool I have is my AEG drill. I have been bitten before with battery tools where the battery dies and you can't get a replacement.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have 4 battery types across 3 brands.

Corded and air when I have no other reasonable choice

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experiences @Woodsy.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's fantastic to have you join us. I hope you find plenty of inspiration and information from our community members. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I'm really happy that I've gone to a battery-powered mower. No need to buy and mix petrol and oil, no horrible exhaust fumes and easy start. It is also really light and easy to maneuver, as well as being quiet. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Anyone tried the Ozito wet/dry vacuum cleaner that is battery powered? After being up in the ceiling recently I realised it is probably overdue for a clean. I don't want to wreck my Dyson and it would be easier to not to have a power lead up there. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects