Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tools - battery or corded?

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Tools - battery or corded?

Hi guys, I've got a decent range of tools including both battery and corded models. I'm just chasing people's feedback on which tools they have in which combos.

Do you find your battery powered ones don't last long enough or don't have enough power, etc?

Certainly like the convenience of the new(ish) '1 battery fits all systems' and when I buy new tools I've looked at both battery and corded options.

c4b04c8b-52ea-4223-a327-fd7f12a74d41.jpg 

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Tools - battery or corded?

Thanks for all the responses guys, really helpful.

Im going to go mostly for cordless.
----------
Handy and helpful
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Damo

I couldn't agree more about generics, I bought a belt drive Compound Sliding Mitre Saw on eBay, & it was a disaster.

At the time, I couldn't justify spending $1000+ on a brand name unit, so the eBay saw which looked good on paper, got the nod.

BIG MISTAKE.

I hadn't even slipped the styrofoam packaging out of the box, when I noticed something fall out. It was an extremely poor quality metal part, which had broken/snapped, presumably during packaging.

Not a good start, but it was only the saw's lock down pin for transporting, so I shrugged it off.

Then I wanted to cut some lap joints, which was a total fail.

I kid you not, I could've cut the joints more precisely by hand, while being 4 times the legal driver alcohol limit, blindfolded, & being rib tickled at the same time.

It then decided that it wouldn't retract the blade guard, when I lowered the blade, so as a makeshift, I rigged the cover permanently open. That was far from ideal, as I'm prone to mental lapses, & value my fingers.

Needless to say, I've junked it, & lucked on a used, early build Makita LS1212, which is built like a tank on steroids.

The best part, it cost less than the brand new generic rubbish that it replaced, & I still have all of my fingers. : )

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

@ProjectPete

Just had a bit of a brain fart and noticed a fact that nobody else has mentioned, if you do go cordless, then find a brand that will allow trickle charging of your batteries.  Batteries don't not like being used and will eventually die due to lack of use.  Trickle charging allows you to keep the battery on the charger indefinately ready to use for next time without damage to the battery.  You won't find this feature on some cheaper brands.

Thexmen
Getting Established

I must admit the AEG kit I have purchased from BUNNINGS has been the best bit of gear that I have purchased. 

I am am looking at the new battery drop saw that they have just brought out. 6 year warranty, lots of skins and outperforms the tradies Makita stuff when we 'raced' them putting in batten screws.

i only have the 4aH batteries but a, looking forward to the new 7and 9 that are coming out later this year.

I also have trailed the new 58v chainsaw that AEG have now.

No 2 stroke smell, no vibration, and cuts lots.

Who's bringing out tge 7 and 9 @Thexmen?
----------
Handy and helpful

Aeg should have them out by the end of the year.
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

The only cordless tools I have are Drills and an Impact Driver, I would really like a Cordless Brad Nailer to use instead of the Air model that I use now (even though that does the job splendidly) I just don't like the air hose all over the shop, tripping over it or knocking things over with it. If I am going to be drilling a lot of holes (like dowels) I will use a corded Bosch Blue drill that wasn't all that expensive when I got it.
Wood Working with Wayne
Thexmen
Getting Established

Hi Wayne,

the the AEG or Ryobi brad nailer work well.. I purchased the AEG one as I had that drill kit. 

I used it it for a project where I went through heaps of nails on one charge.

not sure if Bosch has to one yet.

go to BUNNINGS and give it a try

John1
Having an Impact

I use Battery, Electric and Air. All have jobs to do and do them well. As an ex contractor my tools had to last. Not the real expensive ones as sometimes I worked on boats down on the water and seen to many of my mates lose them overboard. Yes I know water and electricity don't make good partners. I used my Air tools when possible as they don't mind water but I could not always take a compressor with me.

Battery Tools are my first love and though some say the expensive ones are the way to go for doing allot of work. I contracted to companies that manufactured boats as well as every other product you can think of made out of Fibreglass and Composites. My tools had to not only survive the hard yaka and constant onslaught of fibreglass dust but pay for themselves and be reliable.  You definitely do not have to buy the expensive ones the mid range and cheapies can sometimes be the best depending on their use. I have Ryobi and swear by them but I have had a small Bosch that has repaid me over 100 times its original cost.

Battery make life allot easier in both DIY and tradesman situations as their are no power or air leads to trip over. At one boat company I manufacture all their small parts and we were raided by Health and Safety [someone dobbed us in] and they closed my area down two many leads to many double adaptors. The tools all met the requirements but to do my job and make money I had to run them all. anyway I was up and running in two days. Still had leads but hung them from the roof and placed air outlets where required. So Battery tools are best without a doubt and the others where required.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

For someone who doesn't use tools very often, batteries can be a pain. You go to use the tool and surprise, the battery is flat. This always happens when I go to use my drill. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects