Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Turning the garage into a workshop

Carlos
Getting Established

Turning the garage into a workshop

Hey guys I've been wanting to turn our garage into a workshop. Does anyone have any good cheap ideas on how to go about changing a garage into a workshop ??
Thanks.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Turning the garage into a workshop

Hi @Carlos,

Welcome to Workshop and thanks for making your first post. This is a good topic and I'm sure other members of the Workshop community will be keen to help. Have you got any photos of your garage that you could share? And have you got any thoughts about what you need in your workshop?

You might also be interested in these discussions:

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Yes, depends on what kind of DIY you're into @Carlos. Can you let us know how you are planning to use the space? Do you want it to double as a man cave?

Carlos
Getting Established

I'm planning on turning it into a workshop for diy projects and renovations
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Good project @Carlos. Have a look at this discussion - should give you some ideas to get started - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gardening/Organising-workshop/m-p/3311

I'd recommend pegboards, lots of shelves and storage tubs. Make sure you make good use of vertical space. You'll obviously also want some sort of workbench. I really like the ones on castors that you can wheel around for flexibility - they typically have lots of drawers for storage, too. If you don't want to splash out on a fancy stainless steel one you might build your own as your first DIY project.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

If you can get your hands on some pallets you can use them for some great storage options. Here's some ideas:

storage1.jpgstorage2.jpgstorage3.jpg

Carlos
Getting Established

Thank you for the ideas guys !! Much appreciated
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I'm with Isobel & MartyH, maximise your vertical storage to the absolute hilt, because then it allows more opportunities to optimise valuable floor space.

Your idea of having cabinets on wheels is something that I've done, I used (second-hand) steel filing cabinets.

One is a 2 draw lateral, fitted with lockable castors. The only trap, is that if you load heavy items into the drawers, it can (tend to) tip towards you when drawers are opened, in which case you maintain your grip on the recessed handle to keep it stable.

The other is a pairing of 3 draw filing cabinets, siamesed back to back with pop rivets, which alleviate the tipping forward problem, & then I fitted locking castors.

The beauty of this system, is that the 2 drawer lateral, & the back to back 3 drawer cabinets, are mobile, different heights, & are stable when locked in place. This all adds up to very flexible storage & work surface.

When they aren't needed, they can be moved out of the way, if you need floor space.

In fact, with that flexibility, I wish that I'd thought of it sooner, in which case, rather than my fixed workbench, I'd rivet several 3 drawer metal filing cabinets together & fit lockable castors, making it super flexible & storage efficient.

With regard to the 3 pics that Isobel posted, it comes down to your preferences. If you want storage to look nice & be space efficient, then go with Slatwall (the first pic), but do not buy new (expensive much), as there're plenty to be had on Gumtree at significant savings.

A similarly space efficient & flexible system as suggested by MartyH, is pegboard, which is waaaay cheaper, but not an eyesore.

If funds are an issue, then Isobel's other pics are perfect. I can't imagine that you'd be able to get cheaper materials to be as functional, as pallets.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to see you get plenty of ideas @Carlos. I hope you can share your progress on Workshop with us as you transform the garage.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I have a small garage (circa 1950s) that I use solely as a workshop. Wall cabinets for tools is a must. You say DIY so I’m assuming there’ll be a lot of wood so scrap wood storage is a must. Mine is just a couple of light weight shelves from Bunnings. Cost me $14.95(NZ) the each. Casters on workbenches are a must. It makes things easier to work with and gives you better use of area.

Also the number one saw you will want to get is a plunge cut rail saw. Number two will be a compound mitre saw, sliding if you can manage the budget. These two saws work well in smaller areas and have better utility than a table saw from my experience.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects