Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

otnimus
Finding My Feet

What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

I am planning to get a cordless Ryobi lawn mower: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-lithium-36v-5-0ah-18-brushless-lawn-mower-kit_p0088131

And I also need a drill and looking at this one: https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-18v-one-drill-driver-skin-only_p0096074 which is a skin only. How do I know if I can use the mower's battery for this drill? And in general how do I tell which Ryobi products will share batteries? Thanks.

Re: How do I know which Ryobi products can share battery pack

Hi @MitchellMc , This statement is not true. "One of the things that Ryobi does exceptionally well is battery compatibility. Any 36V Ryobi battery will work in any 36V Ryobi tool."

Yes, it is the mantra we are led to believe, and why many of us have invested in the Ryobi ecosystem, but as Robert pointed out below, and I just discovered myself, the reason I found this forum, the new style/shape battery does not fit my 36v Chainsaw. leaving me very upset. I now have a tool fit for the bin. 

This mantra is false advertising and if this is the direction Ryobi are going to take, they should offer some sort of reprise for making our tools obsolete. 

@EricL - I read your reply to Graeme and I just discovered what he did when my 5ah died and I replaced it with the new style 4ah. I dont believe your response satisfactory. Is there anything Ryobi can do here? It might've been a 2014 tool, but Bunnings were still selling it up unitil atleast 2019 (thats when I got mine), so a 4 year lifespan is unacceptable.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I know which Ryobi products can share battery pack

Hello @upset 

There are some options available to us to resolve this issue for you. I'll reach out via private message to get some details from you.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
c5ma
Just Starting Out

Are all Ryobi 36V batteries compatible?

Hi

I Have purchased this lawn mower -  

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-36v-46cm-4-0ah-brushless-cordless-lawn-mower-kit_p0154890?region_i...

which used a lithium+ 36v battery. 

I am planning to purchase this line trimmer - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-36v-4-0ah-40cm-straight-shaft-brushless-cordless-line-trimmer-kit_...

which has a regular 36v battery. Are these 2 batteries interchangeable? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are all Ryobi 36V batteries compatible?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @c5ma. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Ryobi battery compatibility.

I've only encountered one instance of incompatible batteries within the Ryobi 36V range, which was an unintentional design error. As far as I'm aware, these batteries should be compatible, but I'd encourage you to enquire with a Power Gardening team member in-store before purchasing, and I trust they'll be more than happy to check on the display models to verify this.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MRobinson
Finding My Feet

Can you use Ryobi circular saw RCS18X with an 18V battery?

I purchased a RYOBI circular saw RCS18X and am using an 18V 23Wh 1.4 Ah Li-Ion battery. Is this ok?

The saw keeps stopping and I’m not sure if it has a problem or if I need a battery with more amps 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you use Ryobi circular saw RCS18X with an 18V battery?

Hi @MRobinson,

Thank you for your question and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

I'll ask a few questions that should help narrow down the issue.

Can you advise what material you are trying to cut through?

Have you set the blade depth so that the blade only just protrudes past the material?

Do you find that it will let you get started, but it will struggle, bog down and cut out soon after starting? 

It's likely a combination of a few things, but the easiest fix is replacing the battery with a higher output version. While the 1.4 Ah battery is compatible with the saw, due to the low amperage, the circular saw is unable to draw enough power to keep the motor turning while under load. This will cause the inbuilt safety measures to cut power to the saw to prevent damage or injury.

I'd advise you to pick up a higher amp battery. Anything from the RYOBI 18V ONE+ 4.0Ah Lithium Battery up to the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 9.0Ah Lithium+ HP Battery will give you much better performance.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jacob

The saw stops even when running without cutting any material and the battery fully charged. This is why I thought it might be a fault. But my batteries are years old so I will try a new battery. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MRobinson,

If it's not running properly without a load being applied, I'd suggest you take it back to the store of purchase with your receipt.

Once there, head to the Tool Shop. They will have batteries you can use to test the tool.

If it operates fine with one of their batteries, I'd suggest picking up a new battery while you are there. 

If it still doesn't work with one of the store's batteries, there's likely a fault in the tool which would be covered by the warranty. This is assuming you are still within the warranty period.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Jacob

MRobinson
Finding My Feet

Re: What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

Thanks for your advice. Bought a 4am battery and it works well.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What Ryobi products and batteries are compatible?

No worries @MRobinson,

I hope your circular saw helps you to create some fantastic projects in the future.

If there's ever any you'd like to share, or need some advice on, please think of us. 

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects