Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint for metal garage door?

David555
Finding My Feet

What paint for metal garage door?

Hello Im looking at repainting our garage door. What paint / what range should I use to do this? Colour is Midnight Sky. Colour bond match. Any help I would appreciate. Regards David 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Paint for Metal Garage door

Hello @martyinbondi

Thanks for sharing your question about painting your metal garage door. It all depends on the current condition of your garage door. If there are rust spots and semi-advanced stages of rust corrosion. I suggest using White Knight 0.5L Rust Guard Rust Converter. If the paint on your garage door is flaking and peeling, it will be necessary to sand the surface to remove all the loose and flaking pieces. 

It's always good practice to prime the surface of your garage door to add an extra layer of protection. There is no need to thin out the paint when applying it to your garage door. The only reason you need to thin it out is when you're using a paint spray gun. Using a spray gun does give you a professional-looking finish and you don't see any brush marks on your garage door. 

However, if you've not spray painted before, it does take some practice. You'll also need to thin out the paint so that it works with the spray gun. It sounds like an interesting project, any updates you can provide would be much appreciated.

Here is a handy guide: Paint sprayer buying guide: how to choose a paint sprayer

Here is a link to a project that uses a spray gun: How to paint a fence with a spray gun

Let me tag our experienced members @Nikkaz and @KingStreetReno for their recommendations on using a paint spray gun.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hello @EricL 

Thank you again for your comments. It is very informative. My current garage door doesn't have any paint flaking/ peeling or rust spots even though we haven't done anything to it over the past 10 years+. After reading your comments, my plan will be to clean the garage door with sugar soap and then apply one layer of primer on top. 

I will then learn how to use a spray gun with epoxy enamel paint suggested by @MitchellMc in his previous comments. I will check with the shop staff what ratio I need with the thinner. I am hoping @Nikkaz  or @KingStreetReno can recommend a good spray gun brand and model for this job. I think it's worth the investment. 

Will definitely keep you posted if any updates available. As always, thank you for all your help.

WBR,

Martin from Bondi

daniT
Growing in Experience

Hi! I am also planning to paint my garage roller door-it’s currently a cream colour but I’d like to have a wood look. Am I able to do a dark base coat then take advantage of the way the metal is imprinted to overlay a lighter brown to create the wood look? I’ve done this before but never on metal surfaces 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Quite possibly, @daniT. I'd recommend doing your first coat with a 13mm nap roller to fill all the voids and the second with a 4mm nap foam roller. Do a couple of light coats with the foam roller so as not to fill the lower voids of the timber pattern. Don't lay the coat on too thickly in the first colour and coat with the 13mm nap roller, or you will fill up and diminish the texture.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects