Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where can I look for inspiration to build my workbench?

Wouldy
Making a Splash

Where can I look for inspiration to build my workbench?

Hi, 

I am not building this workbench from scratch. I already have the workbench although it is very old, yet with good potential. I am looking to make a customised workbench. I am looking for places to go to look for inspiration and new ideas so I can start to get creative with working on this project for me. Thanks. 

Wouldy

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Where can I look for inspiration to build my workbench?

Hi @Wouldy,

Can you please share a photo or two of your existing workbench so members can see what you are working with?

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Wouldy

It's good to know that you're on to your next project. I suggest picturing in your mind what would you like to see on your workbench? Is it an arts and crafts table? Is it a tool storage table or maybe a mix of both? What kind of containers do you see being put on it? What colour would look good on it? I draw sketches of my ideas in a small notebook until the project in my mind comes together on paper.

Ideas and inspiration come from all around us, from the places we eat to the places we shop. Tables that have bag hooks underneath so that you don't have to place your bag on the floor. Dedicated clamping holes pre-drilled on a builder's work table. Magnetic inserts on a hobby table to hold screws and metal parts. Large locking castor wheels to move and reposition cutting desks. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your project.

Let me tag our experienced members @prettyliving and @craftyhopper for their recommendations.  

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

IMG20210917182418.jpg

IMG20210917182430.jpg

@Jason sure. It's a bit messy. Have taken off the vice so far. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing some photos @Wouldy.

Let me tag @EricL@Tara86@Rodney and @Seaton for their thoughts.

Are you goals to have more storage space and/or more workspace?

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Wouldy

The workbench looks like it is still in very good condition. I suggest replacing the back panel that's holding the electrical outlet as it looks like there has been some water damage on it. I recommend giving the table a good sanding with an Ozito ¼ Sheet Orbital Sander. This will remove all the blemishes on the benchtop and bottom shelf. You can then apply a coat of Feast Watson 1L Clear Outdoor Furniture Oil to protect it from the elements.

Some of the features you can add to it are the Pinnacle 1810 x 540mm Matte Black Metal Pegboard to hold the tools that you often use. I recommend adding a shelf to hold the Handy Storage Systems for all the bits and pieces you use on your projects. I suggest adding Move It 75mm 50kg Black Rubber Swivel Plate Castor With Brake so you can keep your workbench mobile. The best add-on you can put on your new workbench is a Ledvance 60cm 6.5W 650lm Day Light LED Batten to illuminate your work area. 

Please have a look at the drawing below and tell us what you think. If you wish to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

Let me tag our experienced members @r23on and @Prawns for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Bit late with this but the current workbench looks like it could do with a bit of a makeover. It’s also looks like it could be moved around a bit. I would keep it and make a movable bench plus. The following suggestions will allow the use of the bench from both sides a lot of projects need that freedom of movement.

1 remove the back board with the power board on it  and place the power board at one end under the top of the bench

2 a wood vice both sides but opposite corners to each other so you can work either side of the bench

3. a large wood vice at one end

4. a set of jacking wheels or casters for movement around the shed or movement out side to work This is just an example of a movable workbench

5 lay out a series of holes on the top for dog clamps as shown in photo

All these upgrades are subject to space of course. 

r23on_1-1633315129790.jpeg

r23on_0-1633314346323.jpeg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects