Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which angle grinder is best?

sakrani
Just Starting Out

Which angle grinder is best?

Dear All,

i need your help and advice, im planning to repaint the house. Wanted to know which angle grinder is best suitable for the purpose of removing paint from brick walls ( 4, 5 or 7 inch).

secondly when looking to buy a new angle grinder within the 5 and 7 inch there are grinders with different wattage and price difference is huge. So should i buy the one with higher or lower wattage.

would also appreciate if you can guide i was planning to buy makita 7 inch M0902g or M9000g. Or should i look for another one.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Which angle grinder is best?

Hello @sakrani and a warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and I trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects from our talented and knowledgable community members. 

Let me tag a few of our experienced members who might like to kick off the discussion for you: @Brad, @cadsman, @r23on, @ProjectPete, @JDE, @Tara86, @Peggers, @Simon

Our resident Bunnings expert @MitchellMc will also be more than happy to share his thoughts when he is back on the site on Friday. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
cadsman
Having an Impact

I've  got two 100mm angle grinders, a Makita and a Work-zone. Both work well but the Makita is easier to change discs with the hold button for the spindle and a good feel in the hand. I use a rotary hacksaw blade in the Makita for cutting timber and light metals. 1mm cutting discs for metal cutting and a grinding wheel on the Work-zone. Overall, the Makita is a better unit and I find it indispensable for the more delicate (!) tasks. 

As for removing paint from Brickwork, wouldn't á liquid paint stripper to get rid of most of it and then a blow torch with a rotary wire brush to remove the last traces give a better outcome? A large Angle grinder would be able to not only remove the paint but a lot of the brick as well!! A lot of control would be required to just touch the surface and not gouge the brick work, a task I wouldn't like to do with a hand held angle grinder. But that's just me.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

125mm cordless Bosch sits in my not too little and not too big spot.

If I was still a welder full time I would use a corded tool in a workshop.

Gut feel is you want to use it with a wire wheel fitted so for that use I think corded has more grunt and a higher wattage is better in that case,

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @sakrani,

It's great to have you join us and many thanks for your question. I see you have already received some fantastic advice from both @cadsman and @Brad which is fabulous to see. As cadsman has suggested, I would advise using a paint stripper and a wire wheel on your new angle grinder to efficiently remove the paint.  If you were to use the grinding disc supplied with the unit, it would be difficult to not damage the brickwork significantly.

There is a trade-off between all the angle grinders. The larger sizes that have the most wattage will get the job done the fastest, however, they are awkward to handle and have limited usage in other applications. Smaller grinders are easier to handle and can be used in a variety of other situations, though they might lack the power necessary for this job.

Depending on the size of the wall I would be looking a little smaller than the 7-inch and Brad's suggestion of the 125mm would be a great compromise. You might like to take a look at the Makita 710w 125mm Angle Grinder.

If you are going to use paint stripper I believe you could use a 125mm angle grinder, but for removing the paint directly a 7-inch grinder with a higher wattage would be my preference.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had other questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects