Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which drill to start with

MD
Getting Established

Which drill to start with

I would like some advice on the best type of cordless drill to get to start my collection of power tools for home DIY projects.  I want something capable of drilling through all surfaces (including masonry) as well as screwing and boring larger holes.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Which drill to start with

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @MD. It's fantastic that you joined us and many thanks for your question about cordless drills.

You might like to have a read through this guide: How to choose the right drill for the job. From your description, it sounds like you are after a drill driver with hammer function. My recommendation would be the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 4.0Ah Hammer Drill Kit as it will do everything you need. This drill is capable of everything you have specified and comes in at 50 Nm of torque. If you'd like a bit more grunt, then consider the Ryobi One+ 18V Brushless Hammer Drill Kit which has a power rating of 85Nm of torque. The extra power would be beneficial when boring larger holes and drilling through hard masonry surfaces.

Apart from being great quality tools for the D.I.Y'er, they have made it super easy and budget-friendly to add to your collection. You can use the same set of batteries from the driver kit in any new tool from their One+ range and there are over 225 tools to choose from. This means you don't have to keep buying additional batteries with each new tool.

Personally, I use this range and have several tools from it. I've been very happy with them and haven't experienced any issues, even though I don't always treat them particularly nicely.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @MD it’s a purchase worth taking the time to decide upon. What you’re after is a driver-drill with hammer function. 
Budget is always a key consideration and realistically you get what you pay for…

I’d be looking for a brushless drill, these tend to be more powerful with lower battery drain & less mechanical problems. 
One thing to consider too is how many more tools you may buy. If you plan on expanding your kit then go with an ‘ecosystem’ that offers a good range & interchangeable batteries. 
Personally, I had an extensive range of Ryobi ONE+ Gear and found it was excellent quality for the price. They do have entry-level through to ‘pro-sumer’ gear in their drill range. 
Over the last few years I’ve been replacing my gear with AEG & found it quite good but it is more expensive. 
We’ve had lots of trades through here as we renovate & I have noticed that most tend to use Makita trade-grade gear. 
Hope some of this is helpful. 

MD
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell - thats certainly great advice!

MD
Getting Established

Thanks very much Adam - great advice and has confirmed for me where to start!

MD
Getting Established

Hi again Mitchell - could you also advise if Bunnings have a blade set that would go with the Ryobi One+ 18V cordless jigsaw?  Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @MD,

We have a few different sets, which include blades with various coarseness to their teeth. There's the Craftright 10 Piece Jigsaw Blade Set for wood, the Powerfit 10 Piece HCS Wood Jigsaw Blade Set for wood, plastic, plasterboard, Perspex sheets, and laminate, the Diablo 10 Piece Wood / Metal HCS / HSS T-Shank Set for wood, plastic, plasterboard, Perspex sheets, laminate, and metal, and the Kincrome PTA 8 Piece Double Edge/Skeleton Jigsaw Blades which are suitable for all surfaces previously mentioned, but not metal.

If you were after a set, I'd recommend the Diablo 10 Piece Wood / Metal HCS / HSS T-Shank Set. I use Diablo blades and have been happy with their performance. You can also purchase just an individual blade of the required coarseness. Jigsaw blades are fairly universal, so they fit most machines.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects