Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to choose a drill?

nagumuthu
Making a Splash

How to choose a drill?

Hello Members,

I'm looking for a good hand drill machine.  I'm looking for long lasting drill bits as I'm not interested to grind and use it.

1. Can you please propose good hand drill machine @ bunnings.

2. Drill bits used for the purpose of for hanging photo frames, mirrors, small carpentery work, drilling tiles etc.

The drill machine shall cater for drill bits that drills multiple materials (Bricks, plasters, tiles, wood etc.) as on long term I would like to use that for DIY Projects.

Are One time use and throw drill bits available that is cost-effective ?

Thanks for your attention.

Best Wishes

M.Muthu.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Hand Drill

Hi @nagumuthu,

The unit I would recommend is the Ryobi 18V ONE+ 4.0Ah Hammer Drill Kit. It's perfect for D.I.Y. jobs around the house, has a hammer function for drilling bricks, comes with a decent-sized 4.0Ah battery and is a great price.

For drill bits, I would recommend getting a couple of kits to cover the majority of what you need. The two kits would be the RYOBI 56 Piece Impact Drilling And Driving Set and a Sutton Tools 6 Piece Masonry Drill Bit Set.  If you need larger sized drill bits for a project I would advise buying those individually. The same goes for tiles, if you need a specific size I would purchase the individual drill bit you need. The drill bits included in these kits are of good quality and should last a long time without the need for sharpening.

The Craftright range of drill bits is very inexpensive and could almost be deemed throw away at that price point. They will do the job you need them to but will not last anywhere near as long as the kits mentioned above. It would be my advice to purchase something of good quality that will be used for years to come.

You might be interested in reading through some of these previous discussions:

Please let me know if you need further information or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MarleyJ_Aus
Getting Established

Re: How to choose a drill?

Hi can I get some updated advice on what drill I should be looking at buying ? I’m a novice … never drilled in my life … no idea what drill bits I would need for any job ? 
I am a diy Reno but would like to have one that can go into walks bricks etc but nothing stronger ! 
how do I know what size drill bit I need for each job as I am atm doing cabinet handles ? 
thanks in advance 

🤗

Hi @MarleyJ_Aus,

We've got some helpful resources for you. Please check out the following articles:

Once you choose a drill, I'm sure our helpful community members will be more than happy to recommend a versatile drill bit set for your needs. Let me tag our resident D.I.Y. experts in @MitchellMc and @EricL for their thoughts.

Jason

Hi @MarleyJ_Aus,

I'd highly recommend this Ryobi 18V ONE+ 1.5Ah/5.0Ah Hammer Drill Kit. It has the functionality of drilling into brick walls and is a fantastic machine overall. Since you're starting out, you might like to invest in a couple of drill sets and then buy any additional bits you need separately. Here's the Craftright 13 Piece HSS Drill Bit Set, suitable for steel and wood, and the Craftright 15 Piece Masonry Drill Bit Set, suitable for bricks.

Each job you do will likely call for different sized drillbits. Are you fixing the new handles onto the cabinet and need to drill holes for the handle screws? Typically the handle screw is around 4mm, so a 5mm drill bit would suit. Alternatively, if you can post a picture of your handles we can try our best to work out a suitable sized drill bit.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects