Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Which stud finder would you recommend?

Old-gal24
Becoming a Leader

Which stud finder would you recommend?

Hi folks

I am guessing this could be a question that has been asked before, BUT sorry I couldn't find one.  Old~timers maybe.

I would like to purchase a new Stud finder and struggle with a reliable one.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

I haven't had any luck with stanley or Ryobi, just not as reliable as I would like.  Out of desperation I got a retired builder in to help me with some overhead cabinets in my Craft room..  In the end he just started taping v-small nails in the approx. area...  SADLY I ended up with dozens of holes all over the well.  NOT Impressed! and certainly won't be getting him back.

My dilemma is that I wish to put up some solid shelves in my lounge room, bedroom and family room to hold hanging plants.  So I would really prefer to go into the stud not just the gyprock, as there will be some weight on them.

I would also like to hang some Macramé planters from the ceilings, so would rather find the ceiling beams than use  plugs and hope they don't fall down one day.

I have had a few mishaps so a little apprehensive.  

So really need a foolproof way of dealing with this as I've been procrastinating for the past few years.  

HELP. Please..

Oldgal-24

Over a Year ago.  Most are very longOver a Year ago. Most are very long

Re: Which stud finder would you recommend?

Kind-a funny story..  was he your mothers brother?  Your Uncle that is?  or Brother in law?

I guess I've been rather spoilt, till the past two years, hence my lack of confidence. 

I had my uncle = Jack of all trades, master of ALL... he was my Mentor, if ever in doubt with ANYTHING, I would call and ask him, (Him in Melbourne, me, NSW Dubbo/Tamworth) and pick his brains.  When my Aunt passed away he would come up and stay with me for the Winters.  80+ at the time, I would get so much done.  Just with his sheer presence.  He gave me the confidence to have a go at anything.

Sadly he's been gone 2 years now and I struggle to just get in and have a go like I would before.  He was my ROCK..  I miss him, his kind manner and supportive nature...

He was my father's brother. 

We're here for you, Old-gal24. Let me know if you purchase the Ozito, and I'll run up to my local Bunnings, grab one, and we'll do this together.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@MitchellMc 

Will do for sure.  Later in the week.  I'm blessed my Local Bunnings is only 1km by rd..

Old-gal24

Sorry @MitchellMc  & @Jason  have been super crook the past few weeks and just haven't got to Bunnings.  Will try again in the next few days..

Old-gal24

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Old-gal24

My apologies for being late to the discussion, I love your plant collection by the way! You just rest and recover and when you feel up to it we'll be right here waiting for you. I understand how frustrating it is when you are trying to look for a timber stud in the wall. A traditional technique my grandfather showed me was to use strong magnets to locate the plasterboard nails in the wall. 

However, in this instance, I suggest getting some Everhang 18mm Round Rare Earth Magnets. Please remember to gently handle the magnets and never let them snap back together with force or they will crack in half. I recommend putting some masking tape on them with a bit of extra so that you can drag it along the wall. 

Once you locate the first head you can then guesstimate where the next stud will be and the likely location of the nail pattern on that stud. Mark each spot you locate with a pencil and you'll notice the pattern the builder used to fix the plasterboard to the wall.

Eric

Hello Eric  @EricL 

My darling uncle used this method, I'm sure of it.. and he was always so very accurate with his work.

Thank you  -  I didn't know where to purchase these magnet, I'd tried using some I had in my craft supplies, without much success.

Cheers

This Old-gal

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Old-gal24

Unfortunately, standard magnets are just not strong enough to catch the heads of the plasterboard nails. You'll need to use Everhang 18mm Round Rare Earth Magnets, they are much stronger and must be handled with care. They are usually located in the hardware department, just mention the name of the product to one of the helpful team members at your local store and they'll be able to lead you to it.

Eric

@EricL 

Thank you for your update and helpful information.  Have to head to Bunnies tomorrow so will get some ..

I would love to install a floating shelf.  BUT I think it's going to be too long/big.  Then add the weight of the plants..

Old-gal24

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Old-gal24

Show us the shelf you're interested in and we'll offer some recommendations on whether it's ideal for plants or not.

Eric

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @Old-gal24 

My house was built in '47 - dunno how many renovations it had before we purchased it, but some walls have a double layer of gyprock and with fibro for good measure. Possibly close to 25mm in thickness. I gave up electronic stud-finders years ago. I'm with @EricL on this - super earth magnets. They need to be seen to be believed.

I didn't know Bunnings sold them - thanks Eric. I purchased mine from Jaycar for $29 and being unfamiliar with them nearly took a piece of skin off a finger when they came together. In the foreground is a Kmart (ordinary magnet) nail/screw indicator. When I took this photo it kept getting attracted by the super magnets - like the power of a Black-hole.

My only concern with this method - is did the plasterer or renovator position the nail/screw dead centre in the stud.

20221028_081243.jpg

But once the earth-magnet detects a screw or nail head within the gyprock - the holding power is truly impressive.

20221028_102654.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects