Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Backyard makeover ideas and advice needed

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

Backyard makeover ideas and advice needed

IMG_20211027_061814[1].jpgIMG_20211027_061751[1].jpg

Hi

My backyard looks awful. I want to give it a makeover in this long weekend. I'm thinking to use pavers and pebbles along the wall and alfresco. turf the rest. The turf that face the fence is buffalo which is lower and bumpy because of my bad job that i did couple months ago. the rest is cheap turf that i want to replace.  

I have no idea where to start.  Can anyone give me some ideas and advices?

Ps. In the first picture that orange spot is drain outlet. 

Thank you very much

Nancy

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Backyard makeover ideas and advice needed

Hi @Nancy12,

You've come to the right place for ideas and advice. Our creative members have shared plenty of incredible outdoor projects that you can check out in our Top 10 most popular garden makeovers and Top 10 most popular outdoor projects for inspiration.

You may also like to start by taking a look at these helpful guides:

Let me tag @Adam_W, @sandy_d, @prettyliving and @diy_hausdesigns to kick off this discussion. Our resident D.I.Y. experts @EricL and @MitchellMc will also be happy to offer suggestions and advice.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sandy_d
Amassing an Audience

@Nancy12 What a beautiful space you have and so many ideas! You could create a long bench as I have but also add screening along the bricks. The paving could be close to the drain. I would cover with some open mesh to stop any stones getting in. My kids love to put pebbles down mine. Even something simple as a splash of paint could brighten things up. There are many great inspirational Bunnings videos I’ve watched. I can’t wait to see what you come up with. 

Just an idea for you :smile:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/home-improvement/design-inspiration/how-to-create-an-outdoor-... 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nancy,

You should find this step-by-step guide useful: How to lay turf. Make sure you get that topsoil nice and flat before you start adding the rolls. That will prevent any unevenness.

The first step will likely be establishing a defined edging and boundary to the lawn section where the pebbles and pavers will start.

You'll need to remove or kill off the old grass, so it doesn't grow into your new buffalo lawn. This weekend, it might be best to prepare the area by killing the old grass and working on the pebbled/paved area. If you get the pebbles and pavers done and apply the weed killer to the old lawn, you'll be ready to level the yard with topsoil and lay your new lawn next week.

Please let us know if you have any questions. We're here to help.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Nancy12 you have the bones of a really nice space there. Always remember - you don't need to make it all happen at once. Break it up into separate projects - bite-sized chunks. Get one part finished before moving onto another, that way you remove that frustration of feeling like you're not achieving anything.
Okay, that garden bed under the fence is excellent. If you clean that timber up with a timber prep product you could give it a lick of suitable paint or stain and really make it pop.
There looks to be the beginnings of a border bed at the foot of the wall. I'd formalise that with some edging so grass is kept out and make the planting consistent with one plant variety all the way along.
You can likley get you buffalo back to level with some top dressing to take the lumps and bumps out. Meanwhile work on getting rid of that other grass and get to all buffalo.
Again the house wall you will have trouble as the 'soil' looks to be lots of builders rubble. You could always dig this out and add new soil but to be honest those sort of under-eave spots are always really difficult for garden beds as their light tends to be either full sun or full shade and very dry. As you mentioned, perhaps pebble mulch. You could then always stand some planters on there as they'll be easier to water.
Okay, hope this helps. Just remember... take your time, as they say measure it twice and cut it once, and break it up into achievable, separate projects.
Please drop another post if you've any questions & let us know how it goes.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects