Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

royq
Having an Impact

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

DSCN1944.JPG

Easy little project at my brother-in-law's place a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 hours and cost less than $100. Really makes a difference.

The fence is all you can see from one of the bedroom windows, so it needed something to make it less bland. However the fence is very close to the house so we wanted to do something that wouldn't take up too much space.

I made a quick video with a time lapse camera just for fun :smile:

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterDSCN1955.JPG

Thanks for checking this out, happy workshopping.

Cheers, Roy

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Climbers to dress up colorbond fence

That looks fantastic @royq. Many thanks for sharing your first project with us. I hope it's the first of many, as I'm sure this will inspire Workshop community members. 

What's the climber that has been planted?

Those members who are keen to do something similar might also like to check out this project, which includes step-by-step instructions - https://www.bunnings.com.au/diy-advice/garden/planting-and-growing/how-to-make-a-wire-espalier-trell...

Another option for a colourboard fence is to build a vertical garden like @kel - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/the-vertical-gardens-that-i-built/cns-p/13903

Thanks again Roy. Looking forward to your next post. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
royq
Having an Impact

Thanks @Jason

I planted Chinese Jasmine Star because I know they work well in the climate and grow really fast. Added bonus they have a pretty white flower in spring. They were only $5 each too so no complaints.

I actually did an Instructable on this project a couple of weeks ago with a little bit more detail on how it was done. 

https://www.instructables.com/id/Garden-Trellis-and-Climbing-Hedge-on-Existing-Fenc/

Cheers, Roy

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@royq,

Fantastic job with the plants, it will look amazing in no time with minimum space lost, well done!!

Cheers,

Barbara

Thanks @Baretta11

I've just got to make sure by brother-in-law keeps training them on the cables or they will grow straight up which will look messy.

Cheers, Roy

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@royq,

Hi Roy,

Yes it can be hard for others to have the understanding and passion to follow through with things of this nature but perhaps this project will mean you'll be visiting your family more often which is a good thing and you can to take stock of the progress and do a little nip and tuck if you need to!! ha-ha

@Baretta11, Haha thanks Barbara, I go there very often, we've redone all of his lawns and landscaping over the last couple of years, I'll keep an eye on the vines.

20180324_144825.jpg

Cheers, Roy

I went and checked out the climbers yesterday, they've gone crazy! Grown quite a bit in only four weeks. Looks like they've been training them very dilligently too :smile: Another couple of months and the fence will be covered.

20180422_163338[1].jpg

Cheers, Roy

Baretta11
Becoming a Leader

@royq,

Hi Roy,

Wow, I can see one runner in the pic is almost at the top of the fence, seems it's only been a few weeks??

Glad the family have been doing their bit to keep your good works on track!!

I've been fiddling recently with my indoor plants, shifting them around the house and generally having fun with it all and decided I need a trip to Bunnings for a few more. ha-ha

Look forward to seeing the fence or should I say, not seing the fence in the near future!!

Cheers,

Barbara

Hi @royq!

I just saw this post and got massive inspiration.

Can you please share your latest progress pictures?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects