Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

royq
Having an Impact

Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

DSCN1944.JPG

Easy little project at my brother-in-law's place a couple of weeks ago. Took about 5 hours and cost less than $100. Really makes a difference.

The fence is all you can see from one of the bedroom windows, so it needed something to make it less bland. However the fence is very close to the house so we wanted to do something that wouldn't take up too much space.

I made a quick video with a time lapse camera just for fun :smile:

BeforeBeforeAfterAfterDSCN1955.JPG

Thanks for checking this out, happy workshopping.

Cheers, Roy

Re: Climbers to dress up Colorbond fence

Looking great @rexilla99 , thanks a lot for the tip on the screws. What wire did you end up going with, marine grade 3.2mm and how many meters did you use for your fence?

Awesome work @leighq , surely gives the much needed inspiration :smile:

Looks amazing and well contrasted with the green on top of grey, surely by now it would be blooming with flowers as we see it all around

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @contaktnitin. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

I trust our members appreciate your feedback. It sounds like you've got a bit of a fence spruce up in the works, and we'd love to hear all about it. Let me know how you go with those materials, and I can fill in any blanks. Definitely post some pictures once you're done.

Please feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance with a project around the home and garden, as the community is filled with helpful and knowledgeable members who are willing to lend a hand.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andrew2048
Just Starting Out

Hello, have you used star jasmine on your cable trellis?  If so, how much sunlight / shade does this location get and how long did it take for the creeper to fill the length of the wires?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Andrew2048

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @royq to make them aware of your questions. It appears to be Star Jasmin and with ideal weather conditions and healthy soil, this type of plant usually grows anywhere from 30cm up to 90cm in a year. Are you planning on building something similar? If you are, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see what kind of project you'll be putting together.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

age_jay
Just Starting Out

Just did mine after seeing this post. I have some jasmine in pots that I want to cover the fence so we can’t see the ugly fence out the windows. Still early days for the plant but happy with the outcome after seeing the pattern and measurements. I’m in Perth WA and the fencing is the same size as the diagram and measurements submitted in the post and was a breeze to put up. I used the black pvc coated galvanized wire and worked out that it uses 14 tek screws and 20 meters of wire all from Bunnings of course. Total cost was $30 for 100 screws and 20 meters of wire. (100 screws was too many but the only size I could get in my fence colour, but it will do many other panels down the track, will just need to get more 20m rolls of wire at $10ea.) A lot cheaper than trellis or lattice and much more modern too. 👍🏼😁

A872CF1C-9CF2-4F46-B46D-8BAF8CC8AF76.jpeg

  

0839715B-9675-485E-ADCC-C68CF2F76906.jpeg

B71082C0-4ADB-45D3-A79D-CB8193EA37C5.jpeg

3E3CE6FD-2395-424C-A9E6-5C621ACADF5E.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @age_jay and many thanks for sharing. Looks terrific. It must be really satisfying for @royq to see how many people he has helped and inspired with this project. 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We are looking forward to seeing your next project and trust you'll get plenty more great ideas and assistance.

Jason

Jacinda
Just Starting Out

Re: Climbers to dress up colorbond fence

@royq 

Hi Roy, did you need to drill into the colorbond fencing at all.  

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Climbers to dress up colorbond fence

Hello @Jacinda 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thanks for joining the discussion.

Let me tag @royq to make them aware of your question. I believe the screw they used is similar to the Zenith 10G x 16mm Galvanised Hex Head Metal Screws. The Zenith self-drilling Metal Screws with hex head are suitable for fixing into metal.

Are you planning on making your own wire climbing frame? If you are, please make sure to post an update. I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you would lay out your wire pattern.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects