Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

DIY spiral winder machine for gabion baskets

Xfarma21
Building a Reputation

DIY spiral winder machine for gabion baskets

I wanted to build my own gabion fence (35 metres wide x 975mm high x 525mm deep) starting from scratch.  I wanted it to be an artisan project, so I built my own spiral winder from parts of machinery I had lying around the farm. The cogs came from a Massey Harris seed drill, and I used a length of acme thread as I wanted the spirals to be even, consistent and regular to make them easier to wind onto the mesh. I used hog rings to hold the mesh together prior to winding the spirals. 

If building your own, it is important to remember that the lead shaft needs to turn a bit faster than the winding shaft so that the carrier arm moves at least the thickness diameter of the wire per revolution. I used 3.15mm fencing wire. Looking at the figures there was a 2:1 ratio involved, and I would use 3/4" acme 6 TPI thread if purchasing a length. If using round bar for the winding shaft and stretching pole I would use 25mm and 20mm respectively as this would still give a 5mm differential to allow the coil to stretch.

I was fortunate enough that everything I had, worked and gave me approximately 1 to 1.5 turns per 75mm mesh square. There were no mathematical calculations involved apart from the number of turns required!

Materials

• Large cog X755, 40 tooth, 175mm diameter
  • Small cog X597, 19 tooth, 90mm diameter
  • Cog housing for large cog X680
  • Acme thread, 1" diameter 5 TPI (threads per inch)
  • Pipe for winding shaft 27mm OD
  • Pipe for stretching pole 22mm OD
  • Bearings to suit acme threaded rod and winding shafts.
  • Steel to mount machine parts onto.
  • Bolts

Tools

• welder
  • spanners
  • wire cutters

Steps

Step 1

BB11BC84-167A-4449-B016-9383AA57C1CB.pngADB92FDC-BDE7-4853-AFCA-F4FC6C0393C9.pngOn the lead shaft (acme thread) I mounted the small cog and on the winding shaft, the large cog. On the acme thread nut I mounted a carrier arm with some wooden blocks to provide some tension on the wire without damaging the galvanizing. In effect, this acted like a lead screw on a lathe, as I turned the handle it would carry the wire along.

Step 2

578E52C3-717D-44E0-A541-6F0F79755D17.pngI threaded the wire from the coil through the wooden blocks (only loosely tightened), over the winding shaft (27mm OD) and then around onto the hook, leaving a 100mm "handle" which is used to screw the spiral onto the mesh. For every 50mm length of spiral that I required I gave the handle 1 turn, (i.e., 1000mm = 20 turns). When I reached the desired number of turns, I cut the wire leaving a tail on it.

Step 3

F42C9B95-26A2-43AC-BD01-4075BAED6884.png
6F85CE32-F852-47EC-981B-044AB502C0E4.pngI then took apart the end bearing assembly and removed the coil and put it onto the s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g pole (22mm OD)  which I hooked onto my work-bench and pulled it as far as I was able. This gave the spiral evenly spaced, consistent diameter and regular turns. I then removed the spiral from the stretching pole and tweaked the tail a little so that it would lead smoothly onto the mesh.

Step 4

2C1CD971-0FD5-42A3-A7D1-241FD989CD93.png
86B7D60F-9BF0-46CC-9C0E-638B9E370F41.pngUsing the handle I then wound the spiral onto the mesh which I did with ease.

Xfarma21
Building a Reputation

Re: DIY spiral winder machine for gabion baskets

Hello Dave, thanks for your compliment. However I did come across your posting about the “Large gabion retaining wall” and it was your picture of the wire wrapped around the broom handle that prompted me to join up and do a posting about my spiral winder made out of “bits and pieces”, as I thought it may help someone. The spirals wind on relatively easy and I have made them up to 1000mm long and a few at 1200mm although they were a little bit harder to twist on towards the end.

If you would like to make your own machine please don’t hesitate to correspond further, as I could make some suggestions.

Regards.

Xfarma21
Building a Reputation

Hello Akanksha, many thanks for your nomination in the D.I.Y. July 2023 competition. 
I have read through the Terms and Conditions of this competition and I am ineligible to enter as I am a New Zealand resident. 
Thanks anyway for considering me as an entrant in this competition.

Regards.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Thanks for clarifying, @Xfarma21. It's amazing to have you contribute your project to the community, and I very much look forward to seeing what you tackle next.

Please keep us updated on all the projects and plans you have going on around the home and garden.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @Xfarma21 

:smile: Thank you for the compliment also! Yeah I would have loved this at the start of the gabion walls. But now I have only a fairly large one and some small ones that need to be done (tho knowing me I will find other walls to build) Will keep you in mind tho as even the ones I have left will use a resonabale amount of spirals. That broom handle is a lot slower lol I also found that the longer the spiral the tighter it would become on the handle. The problem would be where to store it between uses. And by me thinking that it shows I am half considering to make one :smile:

Thanks again

Dave

Xfarma21
Building a Reputation

Thanks Dave, the machine is only mounted on my work bench and is removable. You could make one up that is mounted on 4 removable legs which would make it easier to transport and store.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects