Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How I transformed a boring garden wall and desert landscape

Nidge
Having an Impact

How I transformed a boring garden wall and desert landscape

I started with a bare desolate space and turned it into our little piece of paradise.

BC162EB1-BCDE-49ED-9764-692FF2AA1F4B.jpeg

C103B73B-3D92-47D1-B3B6-61F84DB24865.jpeg2218EC6F-5581-42EF-A948-4105A3C97016.jpeg95F3AF87-AF83-4CCC-8D33-03C8C261BE41.jpeg0697F3D6-AE8B-4410-AE26-8C8D8F114366.jpegA2BD7A73-5B80-419E-9509-4112365A4937.jpegThe blank canvas !The blank canvas !148E4BFC-7E35-42C6-B471-50B9C59FD152.jpegBEB951D8-6651-4854-B707-BDA45B15D194.jpeg64996FCA-4296-4A37-B6D7-7447EA642A0F.jpegAEB5F26F-98F1-4078-8EDB-1E0BEB50F432.jpegAA56FF2D-4BB9-49DD-8712-F6D43B8F1F56.jpeg42DC759A-1960-4731-B0BF-0DA2EC40498D.jpegF9F7B208-BA4B-4EBA-B6A0-48F28C0DE1A9.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How i transformed a boring garden wall and desert landscape !

Hello @Nidge

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your garden transformation project.

What a fantastic garden transformation, it really feels like a piece of paradise. I love how you disguised that overflow pit opening into a clever sitting area. The plants have really softened that harsh fence line and the installation of the lights just finishes the entire look. How long did it take you to finish the project? Did you run into any other difficulties while revamping the area?

If you have any other information you can share about the garden transformation, it would be very much appreciated.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nidge
Having an Impact

Hi Eric,

It took me about 6 weekends, juggling kids and other commitments, to complete the boxes , I was a bit slow as I have never done anything like this before. All the soil and mulch had to be brought in by buckets as the side access was limited it took some time!

Getting the boxes level caused a few headaches, and getting the angles on the all the cuts was a massive challenge as it was all new to me ,and also a bit scary using a drop saw for the first time, the knowledge I got from the Bunnings team was so valuable to me ,they must Have been sick of the site of me.

Regards Neil

@Nidge 

So Nidge, how did you line your boxes?  Does the soil go all the way to the ground??

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @merim999. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

Do you have a raised garden bed project in the works? I trust you'll find these step-by-step guides useful: How to build a raised garden bed and How to fill a raised garden bed.

Typically, weedmat makes a good liner, or if you want to retain the finer particles of soil as well, use geotextile fabric. I'll be keen to hear what @Nidge used on their project and if the soil goes all the way to the ground.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Hi , the soil goes all the way to the ground, to keep the weeds away I put a layer of cardboard at the bottom.

I also used some polycarbonate roof sheets to line the sides of the boxes to prolong the life of the boxes and to keep the soil from contacting the wood , I only used these as I had them left from the old roof I took down, I also painted the wood.

Hope this helps.

Regards Nidge 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nidge

Let me tag @merim999 to make them aware of your recommendations. Thank you for that extra information about your raised garden bed. Although the sleepers are treated for direct contact with soil, the extra protection of putting in polycarbonate sheeting will definitely extend the life of the timber. 

Eric

Nidge
Having an Impact

Hi Eric , 

A little overkill I agree , it saved a trip to the tip ! There were many things I read about H4 treatments and I thought why not use them. On the seating area I used sienna pine as there was going to young kids sitting here at times eating. 
Neil

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nidge (Neil)

That was an excellent choice in using the sienna timber as it is treated in copper azole and is safe for direct human contact.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects