Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get rid of weeds in my lawn?

adamlin
Cultivating a Following

How to get rid of weeds in my lawn?

what would be the best weed killer for these on the photos? Thanks 

121BC71D-6041-4FE6-84D5-5B5A723C1CAE.jpeg

  

5C2E1AFB-A506-4B2F-8E15-3DBFDBAD0FBE.jpeg

FE737AE4-F095-4275-93D8-4C0FED62F537.jpeg

D1CDBE80-FA3F-4E7D-901E-A8CF047E1237.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to get rid of weeds in my lawn?

Hi again @adamlin,

You might like to provide members a little more information so they can assist you with combating the weeds. Do you know what type of lawn you have? And where are you based?

I would recommend you have a look at the popular discussion How to improve your lawn this Spring as it is full of helpful tips on getting your lawn ready for the warmer months ahead. This discussion also has fantastic advice from @MitchellMc that you should be able to apply to your situation - Lawn weed.

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
adamlin
Cultivating a Following

Hi Jason, @Jason actually not too sure about what lawn it is frankly speaking but could be Buffalo? Are you able to tell on these photos? Thanks IMG_8528.jpgIMG_8527.jpgIMG_8526.jpgIMG_8525.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @adamlin,

@Adam_W and @Noelle may be able to bring insights here. 

Stevie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @adamlin

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jason. The discussion he has referred to - Lawn Weed refers to procedures you need to take with your current condition. In it, you will find fantastic advice from @MitchellMc on how to combat weed infestation. I also suggest using traditional methods of weeding using Fiskars 4 Prongs Xact Weed Puller for those deep-rooted weeds.

Turf that has been infested often happens in small batches. Often we mow over them and ignore the weed. Weeds like any other plant react to this by sending signals of immediate growth and replication. This is why it has to be taken out early as soon as you see any buds or growth occurring in your garden.

My only other suggestion is to identify the zones that your weeds are in and till the area. This will loosen the soil and allow you to remove the wide-spreading roots of the weed. Areas that have been taken over will need to be patched if the weed infestation is too great. You can patch these areas with Sir Walter's 0.5m² DNA Certified Soft Leaf Buffalo Turf Slab. Please keep us updated, we look forward to seeing your lawn free of weeds.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

adamlin
Cultivating a Following

lawn weed

Hi all, 

Any suggestion to get rid of the expanding weeds as on the photos?

please help

F3E56EBB-650F-47D5-9D64-2819BEF90C91.jpeg

2F118255-1A90-457F-A0ED-D74426A0B18B.jpeg

29A19F6C-3A00-4101-A392-D4A70673512D.jpeg

65D397E5-ECEE-4431-B1B4-A9DC3AB4B360.jpeg

0D0D8766-DF67-43E4-861E-CF9EDB76C0A0.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lawn weed

Hello @adamlin

Thank you for sharing your question about lawn weeds. Looking at your picture it seems you have an infestation of bindi, before waging any sort of chemical warfare on your turf, I suggest manually removing as many as you can using Fiskars 4 Prongs Xact Weed Puller. This will make removing the weeds much easier as this tool is purposely designed to extract weeds from your garden.

Once you've removed as many weeds as you can, I suggest using Yates 2.4L BuffaloPro Weed 'n' Feed Hose On Weed Killer. It is a lawn weed killer that selectively kills the most common broadleaf weeds in lawns. It has added fertiliser for rapid greening of the lawn and is safe for buffalo and other common lawn types. A far safer option if you’re unsure what lawn type you have. One bottle will treat an area of 120m2 meters.

Let me tag our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @adamlin 

Looking at these most recent images, you have lots of dandelions and clover in the lawn but I can't see anything I would identify as bindii.  However, the treatment @EricL has suggested will combat these broadleaf weeds quite well. 

You may need to follow up with just a lawn weeder product such as Lawn Builder Bindii in a few weeks, as clover can be rather persistent. Combination products (lawn fertiliser and weeder in one) should not be applied too frequently because there is a chance too much lawn food could cause burning of the lawn.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @adamlin

My apologies to you and @Noelle for misidentifying the weed. I always get my lawn weeds mixed up. 

Eric

adamlin
Cultivating a Following

Hi Noelle,

Thanks for the weed info! 

I had been told by the local bunnings staff that my lawn was not buffalo (I showed her the sample) that is why i 've sprayed the Yates Weed n Feed c couple months ago but did not work looks like. Should I keep using that still or should use lawn builder bindii instead and how frequent it should be?

thanks 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects