Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to improve the drainage near the fence?

ppp
Having an Impact

How to improve the drainage near the fence?

Hey All,

As shown in pics, water puddles are forming between the concrete and fence due to rains. What can I do to improve the drainage or stopping this happening?

Thanks In Advance.

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 2.31.55 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 2.31.54 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2022-07-17 at 2.31.52 PM.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to improve the drainage near/under the fence

Hi @ppp,

Do you suspect the water is being captured by the concrete slab and flowing off it into the space? Or is this water coming from the other side of the fence?

If it's from your slab, then you'll need to install some Agi Pipe under the soil there or a grate and channel on top of it and flush with the slab. If the water is coming from the other side of the fence, you'd be better off with the Agi Pipe dug down into the soil at least 200mm. Both of these options need to be connected to a stormwater pipe.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitch,

How to solve this problem if there is no stormwater pipe in the garden ( to connect to).  I don't see any pipe in my garden.

Started observing this water puddles in different areas of the garden.

Added the recent image of the problem.WhatsApp Image 2023-05-30 at 10.55.05 AM.jpeg

Basically I would like to solve this wet areas problem in my garden please

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to improve the drainage near the fence?

@ppp 

It is always frustrating having a pond in your yard when you dont want one.

Any chance of a longer shot of the fenceline? And does your yard slope in any direction?

There will be a stormwater pipe somewhere in your yard if not two even (either side of the house if you are lucky) 

Find where the pipe is in the street gutter then take a rough straight line to your first downpipe will give a fair idea where it may run.

The ag-pipe idea would work wonders to drain the water but you will need it to go to a pit that can be pumped or to a stormwater point. If you have other low areas in your yard that have water standing could you show photos ?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @ppp 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1 Before making any plans, I suggest doing a bit of investigation and finding out if you have any storm water drains near the area. This would be the likeliest spot that you can link into.  

It will be necessary to add more soil to level the area and adding a socked draincoil should be sufficient to drain away any excess rainwater that happens to settle in your garden. It will be necessary to plot the low levels of your garden, and this will be where the draincoil will need to pass through.

I also suggest having a look at these discussions:

Please note it might be necessary to engage a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt, consult your local building authority before starting.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your garden drains.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

ppp
Having an Impact

Thank you @EricL  @Dave-1  for your questions.   I've attached some more info which may help to guide me in right direction.

Overall the slope is away from the house/concrete paths so all water is flowing towards the backyard and side fences.  Left and right side of my neighbours side paths are bit higher than my side paths so all the excess water is flowing to my side of under the fence.  Below is the photo of side path -

Side Path View.jpeg

Recently, I have removed all my previous lawn (planning for fresh lawn/decking) so you can see uneven areas. Below are the back yard views -

Backyard View.jpeg

Backyard VIew2.jpeg

I've seen total of 4 downpipes (one each side of the house and two are at back yard). But all of these are going into concrete so I guess there is some storm water connection under the concrete paths.  Below are the photos - 
Backyard Downpipe.jpeg

Backyard Downpipe2.jpeg

Also I have seen some kind of pit in the back yard - not sure what is this ? Is it a storm water pit ? It has a wording "ACCESS COVERS...."

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 12.05.20 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-04 at 12.05.20 PM.jpeg

My overall goal is to remove the water puddles in the back/side yard and keep it dry so I can plan for fresh lawn or synthetic grass along with decking in the alfresco area. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @ppp,

My initial recommendation of installing drainage is still my first thought. If you'd like to stop the water pooling, then you need to carry it away and send it into the stormwater. Do you happen to have a copy of your house plans? If not, you might be able to obtain them from your local council. On the plans, you might find details of where the stormwater pipes are. You need to find the most convenient place to join them with your drainage pipe. If you don't know where the pipes are, then you'll need to do some exploratory digging or enlist the services of a professional to discover them for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good morning @ppp 

Interesting photos and they really show your issue. 

As @MitchellMc suggested your plans may have the stormwater pipes on them. If you dont know where they are (Ive missplaced mine) you could take a fair guess and go to where the stormwater exits into your street gutter. then run an eyeline towards the first downpipe you see. Bad news probarly as your concrete pathway looks like it covers the pipe down the side of your house. 

Good news is that the downpipe at the back near the patio area only has a bit of concrete over it. 

Have managed to sort out your backyard shape :smile: You should be able to dig carefully somewhere along the diagonal line of site between the patio downpipe and the corner downpipe to find the existing stormwater pipe. I would suggest to get a plumber to help you map out where the pipes may be. Once you have found the pipe You could put in some french style drains as well as a pit to help with drainage. I have had a large amount of stormwater issues (See my projects) and surprisngly the gravel around the drains really helps keep areas drier. Dont know whay I should be surprised at that lol

For the issue down the side of the house/pathway. Id be tempted to dig out the soil on the fenceline and replace with gravel. Find the lowest part of the fence dip and then consider taking up a section of the path to gain acess to the stormwater pipe. (Strongly suggest to get a plumber to show you where the stormwater pipes are) Then you can run a Ag pipe slotted and sleeved pipe along the fence at least to the first post. (Your existing stormwater pipe size may need to be considered) to take the excess water to the pit in your new section of the path. 

I had issues and had concrete over the top of my pipe also. (See my projects here) I think I went to far in removing all the concrete. (have thought of better ways since) Plumber first for ideas and then a shovel :smile:

That concrete lid/pit that you have looks like a sewage access point. You cant build over the top of it. I tried to grow grass over mine so I could put a fence over the top until one night a waterboard truck rocked up in the middle of the night to fix some issue and removed the lid and blasted water all over the place. It hadnt been touched for 8 years that I know of lol It really shows why we can place anything solid over the access points.

Hope these ideas help

Dave

ppp
Having an Impact

Hi @Dave-1  @MitchellMc  @EricL     Thank you for your suggestions. I've taken some time to decide about the next steps.

I've 2 future projects ( Synthetic grass in the back yard, Decking on the Alfresco area) so I need to make sure this drainage issue is solved at once and forever.  

Updated1.jpg

I would like to divide the drainage work into 2 parts and save money and complexity for me.

Part-1) Involving Plumber (Orange color in the attached sketch diag): I think as long as I have a sotrm water connection in the backyard then rest of the work can be done by myself. So I would like to involve plumber to create a storm water point in the backyard and connect it with existing storm water system. ( I guess they dig and identify the existing storm water pipes and connect to them).

Part -2) My DIY work  (Green color in the attached sketch diag) : Installing AGI pipes along the fence length and connecting them to Storm water point created in Part-1. I guess this work is digging the top soil and installing them so should be fine for my skill level. And when I go for my next project which is Installing Synthetic Grass - I will make sure the entire backyard sloped into that Storm water point created at Part-1.

Part-3) Future project1 ( DIY of Synthetic grass).

Part-4) Future project2 (DIY of Decking on alfresco area).

I don't have water puddles issue on the right side fence of the house so I'm not planning for it. Do you think the above work is enough for drianage issue ? I wanted to take your opinoins on my plan and please throw if you have further suggestions, much appreciate your time.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good afternoon @ppp 

For connecting to the stormwater you actually dont need a plumber (Tho would if you are unsure of it) Id be looking to fiond the stormwater at the base of one of your downpipes and connecting to that.

You still have that Sewage access lid that you cant cover. Synthetic grass could be lifted if needed so maybe you could? Not sure where that concrete lid is on your plans.

Id put in two drainage pit style boxes in your yard, one where you have marked it and one over toward sthe side fence closer to that awning. Just to be safe. The trench you dig for the agriculture pipe to attach to the pits and the stormwater pipe should have gravel to the level of the top of the pipe before you backfill with soil.

Dave 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects