Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Is the fence strong enough for a vertical garden?

Veronica22
Finding My Feet

Is the fence strong enough for a vertical garden?

Hi

I am wanting to make a vertical garden, and have what I am advised is Hardwood already in a sort of Trellis shape. I want to stand it up against a colorbond fence as in the picture. The ""Trellis" is 2mm high and 1m wide (just over) and I need some advice please on whether the Fence is strong enough to "hang this on it (with a few plants) or if I need to have support poles, and if they need concreting in? What do you recommend please?

trellis- really packing materials being upcycledtrellis- really packing materials being upcycled

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Vertical Garden Project

Hello @Veronica22

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining us and sharing your vertical garden project.

To be safe I suggest having some timber posts for the trellis to be mounted on. I recommend using Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 90 x 45mm as an inground post. I recommend a 250mm diameter hole at 450mm deep should be sufficient to hold your trellis and your plants. Some standard Bastion 20kg Post Mix Concrete should be ideal to hold the post in place.

Here is a link featuring vertical garden builds: Vertical Garden

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: How to build a vertical garden

Let me tag our experienced member @tom_builds for his recommendations.

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
tom_builds
Making a Splash

Re: Vertical Garden Project

Hi @Veronica22,

Welcome to our community!

I agree with @EricL that it would be best to use posts concreted into the ground to support the weight of the impressive trellis frame you have constructed (especially if it is hardwood as hardwood can be quite heavy).

I would suggest using three posts, one each at the far left and right of the whole frame and one in the middle. I would then use two (or more) lengths of 90 x 35mm outdoor framing treated pine to create rails onto which you can secure your trellis. These rails will allow you to fix the trellis frames in multiple places creating a more rigid and robust structure.

Hope this helps but feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have. 

Good luck with your project!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Is the fence strong enough for a vertical garden?

Hello @tom_builds

Thank you so much for that handy recommendation. Let me tag @Veronica22 to make sure they see your suggestion. Putting the timber as rails is a great suggestion that should make the frame for the trellis even stronger. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Is the fence strong enough for a vertical garden?

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I will post a completed photo. Now just waiting on the rain to stop... :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects