Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Jaw teeth suggestions wanted for vice for chainsawing

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Jaw teeth suggestions wanted for vice for chainsawing

I always felt the 50 mm height on the vice ends on those foot operated vices too small. I'm in the process of making a poor man's version of the Triton (Rockwell) 100 mm in height using 50 mm angle iron 5 mm thick. What I want to do is be able to screw/bolt plates with 'teeth' that will grab a tree limb for chainsawing.

The plates will be 100 mm high X 170 mm long and 5 mm thick

Not sure how to go about it and looking for suggestions/ideas please.

Cheers!

The original heightThe original height

20220516_164832.jpg

Possibilities...Possibilities...

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Jaw teeth suggestions wanted for vice for chainsawing

Hi Mitchell and Eric.

"I think you should make a few different types and give us your review of them."

I thought about it but in the end I'm very happy with the concept you kindly devised above. But what I have done is tap various 8mm holes for high tensile bolts around the opposing plates so I can configure the teeth in various positions. In the lower photo I've positioned them to the extreme left ready to chainsaw wood into smaller pieces for a small fire bucket. The grip on even a small piece like this is amazing - I could never have done it with the original jaws.

The jaws when purchased had rubber ends - but over time they perished with age and snapped like a SAO biscuit and this inspired me to do something with the jaws other than glue more rubber onto them - which in reality was never any use to me as I never used it for delicate woodwork purposes.

I also welded a piece of steel plate to the back of the sliding jaw as you can turn it around to accommodate oversized objects - but even better now with larger dimensions.

I'm pleased with it.

20220520_104932.jpg

20220520_130948.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

Thank you so much for that photo update. That looks so handy and the best part is that you've made provisions for the jaws to go in the other direction if needed. Will you be spray painting it? It would be a shame to just let it rust or maybe cover it with some used motor oil for protection?

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"cover it with some used motor oil for protection?"

Wow!

Great minds Eric! 😁

I only just did that before retiring for the day! 👍

Thanks for looking.

Lathered in sump oil.Lathered in sump oil.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Noyade

Great minds think alike! It just seems such a waste to throw the oil away at the tip. I use my used oil on all my wife's gardening tools to keep them from rusting.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects