Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Mandarin tree not flowering

Stuardo
Becoming a Leader

Mandarin tree not flowering

Question for the Fruit Tree lovers.

I have a very healthy Imperial Mandarin tree grafted on dwarf stock that has never flowered or fruited. It has been in the ground for 5 years, has no disease or insect problems and is green and strong and about 2 meters tall. It gets plenty of sun and water and the occasional fertiliser. Beside it is a Pomegranate tree and a Lemonade tree that are always in fruit.

Is this normal for a mandarin or do I need to give it some special attention?

Thanks in advance,

Stuart.

Mandarin Tree.jpg

Humdinger
Growing in Experience

Re: Mandarin tree not flowering

Thanks for your reply MitchellMc.

I have never seen a flower on it. It gets blood and bone pre spring and a little powerfeed when I feed the lawn fortnightly

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Mandarin tree not flowering

Perhaps try Scotts Osmocote 500g Citrus & Fruit Controlled Release Fertiliser every six months @Humdinger. Depending on your application rate of the Powerfeed, the plant might not be getting adequately fertilised. In saying that, I don't feed my citrus anything, and I still get flowers and fruit.

There is a chance that the tree has just not become mature yet, or other external factors are causing the issue. How often do you water it? A deep watering every week - two weeks should be adequate. However, those scorching days in summer will require additional soakings. 

You might want to trim so of that prolific growth back, and you'll find the guide useful for that: How to prune citrus trees.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects