Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Organic no dig edible garden bed

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Organic no dig edible garden bed

C783DBC8-C0F9-4A5B-98A7-823DF94C0978.jpegStage One of our NO DIG Edible Garden Bed.

I removed a couple of inches more of our dreadful hydrophobic sand from this bed. Cultivated the sand and removed the remaining weed clumps and old dead roots from previous plants.

Our first priority is to add a Wetting Agent to this sandy soil to help with retaining water and also nutrients.

I have applied a product called Charlie Charcoal, it’s a crushed fine Charcoal ( Biochar )

The Charcoal is porous with tiny holes that helps water holding in the sand. Also as I add nutrients to the soil, the Charcoal will help hold nutrients close to the plants root system and will also encourage healthy Microbial soil activity.

I added a light layer to the sand and watered in , instantly you can see the water absorbing into the sand and not running off.

6FBA99DD-EB74-42E9-B7DB-2FE60B16E777.jpeg

60550693-9948-4A3A-9A66-19F59FF12FBB.jpeg

C470415D-B521-4BEF-9B84-D42D3421AF56.jpeg

D6FBD79F-87D7-4DEA-95BC-AFD88CF77BE4.jpeg

2A44AD8B-F778-42C3-AC1C-D2B58372B6E2.jpeg

ta

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Update on our Organic No Dig Edible Garden

Hi @mich1972,

Some fantastic tips there which I'm sure our members will appreciate. Many thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

We are getting plenty of Zucchini’s from our No Dig Edibles Bed 🐝🐝

2B6087D7-1767-493D-8FAD-70D77A99ADCC.jpeg

D2EE1381-CFAE-424B-BAE0-DFD0302A5DF1.jpeg

F52F7C2E-1659-4FDF-967C-8F00EDBBB380.jpeg

451294D9-E7BB-4962-AB23-BEFE154743EF.jpeg

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: Organic no dig edible garden bed

This is amazing !!!!

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Those are some good-sized Zucchinis @mich1972. It looks like all your preparation is really paying off, which it's fantastic to see.

Many thanks for the update.

Mitchell

Thank You @MitchellMc  and @diy_hausdesigns 

With our dreadful lifeless Bassendean Sands here in Perth it’s really important to top up regularly with Organic matter and nutrients. 😊

Manz
Growing in Experience

Hi I've just joined & found this to be very informative. In the next few months I will be starting a virgin veggie patch once the new house is built.

I look forward to starting this after reading this Organic no dig story.

Hopefully I will have some wonderful veggie photos to share.

Thank you mich1972

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great to have you join the Bunnings Workshop community @Manz. As you can see, we have loads of clever and creative members sharing helpful advice and project inspiration on the site every day. We're sure you'll find lots of other helpful posts as you browse the site, and please feel free to hit the Start a discussion button anytime you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

Thanks for the feedback about this discussion, I'm sure @mich1972 really appreciates it. 

Looking forward to seeing how your new vegetable patch comes along and what you harvest from it.

Jason

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Thank you @Manz i really appreciate it !!! Everything starts with good soil preparation, to build it up and get the most out of it. It’s so enjoyable growing edibles and not using any chemicals. 

Good luck building your home and looking forward to seeing your own edible garden 🌿💚😊

Re: How to start an Organic NO DIG Edible Garden Bed Stage Three

Good afternoon Workshop Community Friends !!! 

Our Summer No Dig Edible Garden is just about complete ! I think I can squeeze in a few more Chilli’s 😆 In the bed growing now is : A mix of Chilli’s, I’ll update the varieties. Planted a few more Truss Tomatoes. There is Lebanese Cucumbers to grow up the Reo Mesh. Sweet Basil, not only to cook with but to attract more beneficial insects and Bees to increase pollination for Chilli’s and Tomatoes. Then I have some Perennials in there , Lavender and Rosemary. Some Sage still growing ok from Winter. There is Lemon Verbena and Lime Verbena. Some Lemongrass, Lemon Balm and Lemon Scented Citronella Geranium. Also Garlic Chives from Winter. Snow Peas to grow up the Reo Mesh. Variegated Lemon Thyme is in there too !

C7C4BA9A-BF3A-4740-92B9-302059DB2CB9.jpeg

98884D45-3411-4EA7-9E89-51080E0587BD.jpeg

022CD5BC-5FE6-47FF-B1DC-BF915AFD4382.jpeg

063F7031-9154-4632-A59B-FF2B5F327F7F.jpeg

9103B18E-68A3-484F-9BC7-A60237C2CDB9.jpeg

703A58A5-AC8F-4B36-B2AC-EF7F1E88E584.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to start an Organic NO DIG Edible Garden Bed Stage Three

Hello @mich1972

Thank you so much for posting those photos of your updated garden. It's always amazing to see what you can grow in a 9-meter space. Your last harvest was awesome, I'm sure this garden project will inspire a lot of our members to give this a go.

I look forward to seeing the next big harvest from your no-dig garden.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects