Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Protecting garden bed wood

jacobisaac
Growing in Experience

Protecting garden bed wood

I am looking to make a garden bed and have bought Sienna treated wood after understanding that this is the best bet for a veggie patch. I would like to know more about enhancing the lifespan of the veggie patch timber. I understand that to preserve the wood from moisture / water wear and tear, its better to paint it. But will painting the wood contaminate the soil? Will beeswax help enhance the lifespan of the wood? As a newbie, looking forward to get some expert advice on this. Thanks.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Protecting garden bed wood

Welcome @jacobisaac!

I'd use some Crommelins waterproofing solution designed for garden beds on the inside as it'll a) protect the timber, and b) avoid contaminating your soil. Then you could paint the outside if you don't want the natural timber look.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thank you. Learnt something new today :smile:

Hi @jacobisaac,

I'd also like to welcome you to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's great to see you've already received some fantastic advice from the ever-helpful @ProjectPete.

You should find these step-by-step tutorials helpful: How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W and How to fill a raised garden bed by @Noelle.

You might also like to read these previous discussions for inspiration:

We look forward to hearing more about your garden bed project and would encourage you to let us know if you need further assistance or would like to share it with the community. I trust you'll find the community filled with knowledgable and helpful members that are always willing to lend a hand.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you. I have gone through the posts and have come up with a plan to build one as my quarantine project :smile: 

Hi @jacobisaac,

It's great to hear that you've formed a plan and will be starting on the build.

Please keep us updated on your progress as I trust our members would like to follow along.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We're here to help.

Mitchell

jacobisaac
Growing in Experience

20210203_125609.jpg

My finished garden bed. Thanks to everyone in workshop and in bunnings store. After planning replanning and multiple visits to bunnings, my garden beds are ready.

JaneK
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

What a great result @jacobisaac! Thanks for sharing this update. Your plants look like they're thriving. Can you tell us a bit more about what you are growing?

Jane

Found the answer you needed? Mark it as Most Helpful
jacobisaac
Growing in Experience

Thank you. Ive got tomatoes, zucchini, chilli, Capsicum. Got them from bunnings. I tried germinating from seeds and only got one Zuchinni into a plant. Quite a lot of care required to germinate from seeds :smile:

I'm incredibly impressed @jacobisaac, fantastic work! You must be really thrilled with your efforts.

Did you treat or coat the sleepers as per your original enquiry?

Well done and many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects