Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Raised vegie garden beds made from fence palings

Poppop
Making a Splash

Raised vegie garden beds made from fence palings

IMG_20170204_131208.jpg

pjturner2008
Cultivating a Following

Re: Raised vegie garden beds made from fence palings

These are lovely and I am sure your sister will love them. I don't think I would use treated timber in raised garden beds for growing food crops. I know the jury is out on the matter of food contamination but I wouldn't risk any danger to my family's health.

Re: Planter box made from Bunnings fence palings.

Hi,

Very interesting. Well done! I am going to build a raised garden bed myself. Where did you get the posts? I couldn't find cheap posts at Bunnings. 

I suppose this would be good to use for planter box

https://www.bunnings.com.au/100-x-15mm-x-1-5m-paling-hardwood_p0061814

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the community and thanks for joining in the discussion @Pangol. Let me tag @Poppop for you so he is alerted to your question about the posts used. 

Please don't hesitate to post anytime you have something to share with the community or need a hand with a project around the house and garden. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@Pangol 

Hi. Everything I used to make these was available at my local Bunnings. If you ask a team member I'm sure they'll be able to help you

@pjturner2008 

Just line them with black plastic if you have concerns.

Lex1
Finding My Feet

Nice planters...question for you or anyone else...

I'll make a couple like these. I'm putting them on a disused slab. How do you stop the soil mix from leaking out (rain and watering), if they don't have a bottom to hold the soil in?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Lex1,

Typically, we would just line them with weed matting to retain the soil mix. A staple gun can be used to fix the matting around the top edge and just inside it. 

If you'd like to minimise the dirty water that comes out the bottom of the planter, you might like to use drain matting instead, as it will prevent even finer soil particles from escaping.

Check out this helpful guide: How to fill a raised garden bed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Poppop
Making a Splash

As most of my veggie boxes are positioned in gardens, I generally leave the bottoms out to allow the worms to move up out of the soil and into the box. But in your situation I'd agree with @MitchellMc. Weed mat or similar would hold most of the material in. Some people also like to line the sides of the box with black plastic. You could continue the plastic across the bottom to help hold things in.
Alternatively, with the Planter boxes I make to be placed on decks or other hard surfaces, I just continue the inside braces across the bottom and use more boards to put a bottom in it.

I hope this helps.

Lex1
Finding My Feet

Thanks @Poppop and @MitchellMc.

annabii
Finding My Feet

Love this idea .. this would have taken some time - your accuracy and measurements are great. 
How do you begin ? 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects