Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Silver Sheen slowly dying?

Bleak
Finding My Feet

Silver Sheen slowly dying?

We’ve have this silver sheen for a couple years now; when we moved in. We’ve noticed that the right hand side started browning in the middle and moved it’s way out. Feels like it’s not getting enough water? We only water it once a month or so since Melbourne has tons of rain. 

I’ve read it should be 30 mins of soak per week?!

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Silver Sheen slowly dying?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Silver sheen. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for the question about your hedge.

You're potentially not watering enough. What happens in the unlikely event that you don't see decent rain for a couple of weeks? Do you water at all then? What about in Summer? Although it rains frequently in Melbourne, the majority of those rainy days are just drizzles over winter, with around 0.2mm of rain falling. That's not enough to consider it watering. Unlike Sydney, where we have fewer rainy days, when it does rain they are generally downpours.

A soak once a week, whether that is by hose or rain, is likely within the right ballpark. In the peak of Summer, a couple per week would be fine. You'll be able to tell if the plant needs a drink by sticking your finger down into the soil. If the top 10cm's is dry, then it could do with some water. The plants look reasonably mature, so I would think their roots would be locating a fair amount of the plants' own water.

Silver sheen can be quite susceptible to over-watering or soggy conditions, especially where clay layers are involved. We go over this issue in @diy_hausdesigns's discussion on their dying Pittosporum (Silver Sheen).

Would it be possible to see a close-up image of the leaves which are currently dying off?

Perhaps our knowledgeable gardening members @Adam_W, @Noelle and @BradN might have some thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc! I’ll start watering them as recommended. Would the dead parts grow back? Here’s an image of the leaves. 

0285D5B0-AE81-4431-9BA7-EFB76E36D92F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Bleak

Because the plant has been stressed, it will take some time before you see any immediate change. I suggest using some Seasol 1.2L Seaweed Health Tonic Concentrate. It is a natural seaweed plant tonic that gives all plants including natives a real boost and helps to improve overall plant health and growth. With enough care and watering, you should be able to nurse the plant back to health.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your Silver Sheen fully recovered.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Bleak
Finding My Feet

Thanks @EricL How often should I be watering them? Indoor plants I can just use a finger to see if the soil is dry or not. Should I just do weekly watering in summer for like a 10 mins? I saw someone saying 30 mins water, that’s heaps. We have 6 of them. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Bleak

Depending on the weather and how dry it gets, I suggest 10-minute watering sessions, twice a week. You can do the same soil dampness test on your outside plants. If the soil is still moisture logged, you can skip a day of watering, but if it seems that it's very dry you can give it a 10-minute watering session. Once your plant has recovered you can slowly shorten the watering time to only what it needs.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Bleak 

To add to Eric's comments - you asked about the dead parts growing back.  I think you answered your own question - if there are dead patches, they're dead and they will not regrow. However, it may just be the leaves have died and dropped and the branches themselves may still be alive - having gone into survival mode by dro0pping their leaves. Pittosporums have a tendency to die back when conditions are not right, and those areas generally do not recover. I thjink it's a 'wait and see' situation with your trees but you must keep the soil around them moist (not wet) through summer for them to have any chance.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects