Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Star Jasmine fence cover

Gwandalan_Tales
Building a Reputation

Star Jasmine fence cover

We recently had a swimming pool installed in our backyard and have been thinking about how we bring the black fence to life inside the pool fence for months. I drive past a beautiful star jasmine wall trained with wire each day near our home, and we decided that would be a prefect project for this space. 

Steps

Step 1

Measured the total length of the fence cover, dividing it by 700mm to determine how many plants would be needed, marking each point as we went.

Step 2

We hammered nails in at the bottom and top of the fence at each 700mm mark. This will form the points we would bend the wire around, in a diamond pattern.

Step 3

We stretched wire to each nail, creating a sharp bend around each nail. Continuing the whole way along the fence, creating large diamonds, and crosses. We pulled the wire firmly to straighten as much as possible.

Image (2).jpg

Step 4

We then planted the star jasmine plants as each point of the wire, covering it with fresh soil, watering in with seasol. We gently wrapped the star jasmine around the wire, stretching it upwards along the training wire.

Image (3).jpg

Image (6).jpgImage (5).jpgImage (4).jpg

Step 5

Seasol, water, sun, then wait for it to grow!

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Star Jasmine fence cover

Hi @Gwandalan_Tales 

Thats going to look  very nice  great work. todate. :smile:

Merrry Xmas

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Congratulations on a terrific project, @Gwandalan_Tales! Such an effective way to refresh your fence. Reminds me of @royq's popular project: Training climbers to screen a fence

Many thanks for sharing details of your process as well as those photos. I'm sure this will inspire many members to do something similar. I look forward to seeing updates of when the Star Jasmine has grown.

Can't wait to see what you tackle next. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

@Gwandalan_Tales  I absolutely love this way of training climbing plants, especially Star Jasmine !! Ohhhh the fragrance ! It will be interesting to see how they grow in such a narrow space 🪴😃 Well done to you ! 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nice one @Gwandalan_Tales. Please do provide an update when your jasmine grows. I'm sure the community will love to see how it screens the fence. You are also going to have a treat when it's in flower and can enjoy the beautiful perfume.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects