Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

I have moved into my new house for fifteen months, haven't done my narrow side yard. one side yard flooded a few times already because of heavy rains. some of my friends suggested i should concrete around the house. but it's very expensive for this small job that I can't afford at moment. some friends said just use the stones. For myself i prefer to choose stone and paver, it looks better than concrete and much cheaper.  I have no idea how to start, what to do, how to stop flooding which is urgent issue at moment. My budget is around $2500.

Can anyone give me some idea?

IMG_20211014_053428[1].jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What is the best alternative to concrete around the house?

Hi @Nancy12,

Narrow areas down the side of a house can be tricky to work with, but I'm sure our community will be happy to help.

Let me tag one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts in @MitchellMc for you. I suspect he will encourage you to tackle your plumbing and drainage issue as the first priority.  

Once that work is done, there are certainly plenty of alternatives to concrete. At our place, we removed the concrete from the side of our house and and replaced with a path with bluestone rounds, railway sleepers, and garden bed. We're still really happy with the result. The photo below is from a few years back - the garden is more established now.

Also check out:

Hope that helps,

Jason

IMG_1835.jpeg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nancy12,

It's great to see @Jason has already provided some helpful advice.

Were you hoping to do this work yourself? It looks like that area could do with some drainage to transfer the sitting water away. You would need to dig a trench 100mm wide and 300mm deep right along the fence line to the street. You'd then lay a length of Vinidex 100mm x 20m Socked Slotted Draincoil into it and backfill the trench with aggregate. The draincoil would be connected to the stormwater line at the street. This would capture the standing water and prevent flooding. Using stones/pebbles in your design will help with your current issues, but I feel a portion of your budget should go to correcting the drainage issue first.

For the aesthetical transformation, we have many amazing projects contributed by our members for inspiration. One of my personal favourites is from @diy_hausdesigns with his Side yard transformation. The key to completing this project on a budget will be utilising bulk stone/pebbles products. If you can have one tonne delivered, it will be substantially cheaper than purchasing smaller bags, roughly a quarter the price.

If you were to dig the trench yourself, lay the pipe and backfill with aggregate, you'd likely only have to employ a tradesperson to connect the draincoil at the street. You'd then be able to order one or two tonnes of ANL 1T 30-40mm White NSW Western Pebble - Bulk Bag and 20 or so Brighton Masonry 400 x 400 x 40mm Charcoal Mypave Pavers all within budget.

I'm looking forward to following along with your project. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nancy12 

I've done some virtual paving and pebbles for you to give you some inspiration. This is what it could look like if you used these materials. Combined with @MitchellMc's recommendation of drainage, you will not have water pooling here again. Please have a look at the picture and tell us what you think. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Nancy pathway1.jpg

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

Thank you so much!  Bunnings Team

There is a drainage in the side yard that hardly saw because of flooding water. Do I still need to do like what @MitchellMc  said? I'm going to do this work myself. Can I just elevate the side yard using the pebbles? Will the stormwater go into the drainage then? 

IMG_20211015_192226[1].jpg

Ps. I met a concrete man at my neighbor's house today. I asked him if it's all right to use pebbles, he said it will cause termite problem if I use pebbles. I never heard about it. Is it true?

Nancy

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

l love it. looks much better than concrete. : ) 

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

Thank you @Jason  so much. they get me inspired.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Nancy12

If you are worried that it will be a moisture problem you can use a paver as a border at the side of the house. This will act as a buffer and prevent the stones from getting near your house. It is good that you have a drain outlet, you can direct your drainpipe into that drain. In order to increase the height of the area, you can use sand to create a leveled area before you lay the pebbles down.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your pathway paved and ready for use.

Here are some handy step-by-step guides:

Here is a link to a fantastic post that a Workshop member has shared.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Nancy12
Growing in Experience

Thanks for reply @EricL 

Just wondering do I need to compact the sands? do I need to get rid off all the rocks and stones in the yard soil before i lay the sand?   can i use road base to increase the height of the yard instead of sand? 

Nancy

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

@Nancy12,

Lowering the height of the drain outlet would likely solve the water issues. It's far too high at the moment to drain anything away. You can raise the side of the yard with pebbles, but that won't solve the standing water issue. It will cover it, though. I'd suggest lowering the drain so the top is flush with the current soil level. It will then drain away any standing water. You'll then be free to add your stones. Draw yourself a diagram of where the outlet is, so in the future, if you need to access it, you can.

If you do want to raise the area, you don't need to get rid of any rocks. You can use roadbase, and it would likely be a good idea to hire a compactor

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects